Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I find a MAC Laptop that was around between 2001 and 2003

I'm trying to recreate some data files that were created on a MAC laptop or G4 between 2001 an 2003. In addition to the laptop, or G4 if necessary, I need the OS of that time, the other OS support software and a copy of AOL from that period.

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 6:05 PM

10 replies

Jun 30, 2014 6:16 PM in response to Santo's Son

Try eBay. You would be looking for an iBook (Firewire) or later up to the iBook G4. All the models were out between 2001 and 2003. An iBook G4 came in two flavors - 800 MHz or 933 MHz CPU. The former can run Tiger while the latter can run Leopard. The 2001 models mostly ran Mac OS 9.x.x.

The OS may be obtainable on eBay. I would assume the same for AOL software.

Jun 30, 2014 10:15 PM in response to Santo's Son

If the files are already on some kind of media, you should be careful to make a working copy of them so as to have a fall-back, just in case something goes wrong in the process of trying to access them.

There is a possibility files from one era may be read by more recent software, and upgraded by that software; this may be OK. But do not let such as process convert the originals, just in case that does not work or damages them instead of converting them.

To know more exactly what the software was, and the version, would be more helpful when looking for a vintage computer and software sets for this kind of project. If the originals were created in AppleWorks or some other, that may be easy to open; older versions of MS Office or Word may be obtainable. A local Apple User Group may be a source of some information or leads.

Good luck with your project...!

Where can I find a MAC Laptop that was around between 2001 and 2003

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.