Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4 crash during install iOS 7.1.2

I've just downloaded today's iOS 7.1.2 update on my iphone 4. I agreed to the install and now on the apple screen it is stuck with the install progress line half way. Has been like this for an hour.

Anyone experience something similar? Do I reboot my phone somehow, connect to my computer?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 7:43 PM

10 replies

Jun 30, 2014 7:49 PM in response to kriddlelives

Hi kriddlelives,

Yes, reset your device and then hook it up to iTunes on the computer you sync with and update it that way. To reset: Hold down the Home and Power buttons at the same time and continue to hold them down until the Apple appears (up to 30 seconds). Once the reset is complete and the Home screen redisplays, hook it up to iTunes and do the update.

Cheers,

GB

Jul 5, 2014 10:35 PM in response to kriddlelives

I had intentionally turned off my icloud and had not backed up my phone on computer for June 2014. Apple pushed IOS 7.1.2 and I pressed update (never had this issue ever that the upgrade can hang / crash in between ).😢 I lost all my June data apps/ photo / whatapp messages / saved files and profiles and contacts that I had added at a conference in June . Furious !

Had to hook up to computer and i-tunes to restore phone from May 2014 backup.

Apple is no more THE APPLE I had regards for. They keep sending haf baked products to customers without testing.

😠 They have no right to charge premium cost. I think 250$ Google Nexus4 in my family works much better and crashes less than my ipnone 4s and even Iphone 5S.

Jul 6, 2014 8:54 AM in response to gail from maine

So if I have the same amount of mistrust on Apple performance - what the point paying 700 $ for an iphone ? We pay Apple premium cost because they "used to" offer exceptional stability and performmance. If I have to do so much homework I can live very well with 200-300 $ smart phone who have similar features may be Google Nexus has more features for half the cost!

Even then I wont rely on upgrades and do my homework of back ups but ATLEAST SAVE 350 $ !

Jul 11, 2014 10:17 AM in response to genec220

Just because you are currently "hung" in Recovery Mode doesn't change the fact that you still have a backup that you can Restore from. Recovery Mode has been in place since iPhones were introduced, so there is nothing to "test" here. Reset your device to Factory Settings and try the Recovery/Restore process again:

IOS RECOVERY MODE RESTORE

GB

Aug 9, 2014 3:15 AM in response to kriddlelives

I've just started to download iOS 7.1.2 update on my iphone 5. I agreed to the install and now on the apple screen it is stuck with the install progress line half way. Has been like this for an hour.

The problem that I have got is that my Sleep/Wake button doesn't work. Has anymore got a idea what I could do or will I have to wait for the battery to run out so I an able to reset it.

iphone 4 crash during install iOS 7.1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.