Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QT Player not starting normally

When I start QT Pro QT player v.7.7.5(1680.96.13) on my Win7 machine, rather than putting up a window and controls so I can open a file, it just sits in the task bar with no window displayed. If I use the file system to "open with Quicktime" it works as advertised. I've uninstalled and reinstalled QT and put in my Pro code again and that was no help. I think the last iTunes update broke it.

Fixable or is it just time to default to VLC and doubleTwist?

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 9:22 PM

5 replies

Jul 1, 2014 5:03 AM in response to ltorg

When I start QT Pro QT player v.7.7.5(1680.96.13) on my Win7 machine, rather than putting up a window and controls so I can open a file, it just sits in the task bar with no window displayed. If I use the file system to "open with Quicktime" it works as advertised.

Not a Windows user, but it sounds like QT 7 Pro is functioning normally. The window you complain does not open is called a "Player" window is only opened if you create a new, empty player (to which you wish to add or copy data) or you open a file that already has data in it for display/playback. Depending on your system and configuration, player windows will open automatically when you double-click a file icon, tell the OS to open/load a file, "drag 'n drop" a file icon onto the QT 7 Pro app, or open the QT 7 Pro app and then tell it to open or create a new player/file—which is what your system seems to be doing.

User uploaded file

Jul 1, 2014 6:53 AM in response to Jon Walker

thanks Jon - I know what you mean (I have 2 Macs as well - laptop and desktop so I'm familiar with the Apple world) and what happens is that QT Player opens, puts the icon in the taskbar, but there is no window into which you can drag a file nor a menu bar with the file open option, etc. It is supposed to show a "content guide" (checked in preferences) but it doesn't.

In other words, when you just start the app, there is no place to drag anything, no menu to pull down to get to the file open dialog.

thanks for your response!

Jul 1, 2014 7:47 AM in response to ltorg

I know what you mean (I have 2 Macs as well - laptop and desktop so I'm familiar with the Apple world) and what happens is that QT Player opens, puts the icon in the taskbar, but there is no window into which you can drag a file nor a menu bar with the file open option, etc. It is supposed to show a "content guide" (checked in preferences) but it doesn't.

In other words, when you just start the app, there is no place to drag anything, no menu to pull down to get to the file open dialog.

Does the Windows app version have the equivalent of the Mac PLIST file? If so, I would start there based on the information you added.

User uploaded file

Jul 2, 2014 5:42 AM in response to Jon Walker

Couldn't make much out of the Windows equivalent of the .plist file - lot of unintelligible xml.

However, I did discover that unchecking "Show Content Guide at startup" in Player Preferences resulted in the normal player controls to show up, so that fixes it. I don't know why the content guide will not display but at least I can work with it as it is now.

So has Apple gone to user-based support only now? Even for paid software? Not being able to file a trouble report or bug report with Apple is, well, troubling.

Jul 2, 2014 6:30 AM in response to ltorg

However, I did discover that unchecking "Show Content Guide at startup" in Player Preferences resulted in the normal player controls to show up, so that fixes it. I don't know why the content guide will not display but at least I can work with it as it is now.

On a Mac the issues you described might be caused by a corrupted PLIST file. The normal "fix" is to close the QT app, delete the PLIST file, and reopen the app to force re-generation of a new PLIST file. Such problems can normally be tested beforehand by simply opening the app under a different user account since each user account has a different PLIST file associated with it. If QT works properly under one user account but not another, the issue is usually a corrupted PLIST file causing the problem whereas if all accounts have the same problem(s), then it is usually the App itself or a conflict with the open QT app that is causing problems.

So has Apple gone to user-based support only now? Even for paid software? Not being able to file a trouble report or bug report with Apple is, well, troubling.

No, but usually it is easier/faster to find assistance here in the forums. Use the Product Feedback form to file bug reports, provide official feedback, and/or request enhancements to a product. See the https://www.apple.com/feedback/ page to find a list of links to specific product feedback forms.

User uploaded file

QT Player not starting normally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.