Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No keyboard and mouse during Windows 7 Installation

Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows 7 Professional 64bit on a current model MacBook Air. I've created bootable USB drive with Bootcamp assistant and let it download latest windows support software from Apple. Once I got to the installation screen both trackpad and keyboard doesn't work.

I've tried a few different USB drives, also tried to plug in a regular USB mouse and keyboard, nothing worked. I've also tried to create the installation USB using a different Windows 7 Professional ISO image.

Someone on another thread suggested that it may be a USB 3 problem and by using a regular USB 2 only drive should solve the problem, all the USB drives I've tried are USB 2 only.

Thank you for your help!

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 10:57 PM

6 replies

Oct 2, 2014 5:38 PM in response to Steven H

Hello,

This thread may be dead???

I am having a similar problem when attempting to install Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on a mid-2014 15" Retina MacBook Pro. (Running Mavericks 10.9.5)

I Have both an original Windows 7 Install DVD and a downloaded ISO file as well.

When I restart from the Windows 7 install DVD I have no mouse (trackpad) or keyboard.

I am not able to create an install USB drive for this model as Boot Camp Assistant gives an error message "Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server"

It is my understanding based on the Apple article
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5634 that I need to download the driver software directly from Apple with the link they provide.

I did that. However, that still does not allow me to use Boot Camp Assistant to create an installer USB drive that includes that Windows driver support.

I tried the trick with the USB drive that this thread points to, but even with a freshly formatted MS-DOS(FAT) USB drive in the USB port on the left of the MacBook Pro and the Apple USB Optical Drive plugged into the USB port on the right side of the MacBook Pro, I still have no mouse or keyboard when I get to the first screen of the Windows installation.

I also tried a USB mouse with no luck.

I spent the last two days searching posts here and in general and only end up more baffled than before . . .

I am as positive as possible that the USB drives I am using are USB 2 and NOT USB 3. Although I guess that does not matter if I can't use Boot Camp Assistant to create a Windows installer that includes the Windows drivers for the MacBook Pro Hardware . . .

Am I missing something???

Has anyone successfully installed Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on a mid-2014 MacBook Pro running Mavericks???

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated . . .

John

Oct 26, 2014 11:17 PM in response to John Kauble

Hi,

Sorry for my english, I'm from Romania.

I manage to install windows 7 x64 professional on my mini mac late 2012 with yosemite OS X and keyboard and mouse works flawless.

I had first the same issue like you guys and everything connected on USB not working after bootcamp install and reboot at the final of windows 7 x64 install.

I think it was a conflict between keyboard and mouse drivers installed by bootcamp and the drivers existing in windows 7.

So I deleted in the usb created with the bootcamp assistant these files: USB\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple\AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe and USB\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple\AppleMultiTouchTrackPadInstaller64.exe than run the bootcamp assistant with the new content of USB disk from MAC OSX.

Everything works now.

Hope this help for you too.

Greetings from Transilvania

No keyboard and mouse during Windows 7 Installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.