Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple is right to let Aperture go

After at first being a little surprised at Aperture’s demise it occurred to me that Apple is right to do this. Continuing to develop an app with small market share on an operating system with small market share makes little sense. It is better for them to admit defeat and try something better then continuing to go down the wrong path.

The technology landscape has changed a lot since 2005 when Aperture 1.0 came out. There are different ways to access files such as sandboxing and iCloud drive. These technologies will become an important way to get photos between a Mac and an iOS device. Tagging files in Aperture was helpful but relying on the tagging system built into the OS would be a much better solution (someone else just mentioned this recently and I strongly agree.) If a new pro photo app made it’s tags available to the Finder and Spotlight those tags should show up along side similarly tagged files that were created in other programs.

Also Aperture’s competition from Adobe is fundamentally flawed. An all new pro app could address the problems that Adobe’s photography apps have. Anyone who has used Adobe’s solutions should be well aware of their shortcomings.

1. Photoshop, which came into being in the 1980s, was not built around technology like raw and therefore requires a rather clumsy workflow.

2. When a document gets exported to Photoshop the user is presented with a confusing array of choices as to how that photograph should be handled. Each option with it’s own series of advantages and drawbacks.

When a photo gets brought back into LR after being edited in PS it creates a new copy. If that photo then gets edit a second and third time it just keeps creating more copies of the image. The same problem can be said of adobe camera raw.

4. I always thought it was a little odd that you have to export an image from LR in order to use it in another app. App’s like LR, Aperture, and Photos are file navigation programs so why do I need to bring a photo from one navigation program (Lightroom) into another navigation program (the Finder) in order to work with it? Yes, I realize that at times you may need a smaller resolution file of an image like for a webpage but why can’t I just make a smaller version from within the photo navigation program and keep the images all in the same app? Doesn’t make sense to me.

It doesn’t have to be this way. Modern apps like Pixelmator are similar to PS except they can handle raw directly from within the app. It seems like it would be possible to team up with Pixelmator so that a raw photo could go between the two apps while keeping all their settings in tact and not requiring users to make unnecessary duplicates of exported files. For an example you could change the brightness in Apple’s Pro app and then it would still stay at the same setting in Pixelmator. And then if you changed the brightness again in Pixelmator the adjustment bar setting would be brought over to Apple’s Photos.

Since Pixelmator didn’t exist when Aperture 1.0 came out the two companies were not able to unify their two products. When you start over with a new product considerations like this can be taken into account. One of the things I hate about Adobe’s photo apps is the way that a lot of modern technology like raw feels very tacked on (because it is.)

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 11:31 PM

34 replies

Jul 1, 2014 12:06 PM in response to robogobo

Thanks! I keep hearing so many people talk about how Apple is getting out of the pro market that I think it is important to keep in mind that it is in Apple's best interest to stay. People are going to decide to purchase a Mac over another platform in part by having tools like a Mac exclusive pro photo app. I think the pro market also includes a lot of hobbyists so they are serving a lot of potential customers. Did I mention all the iOS users on Windows PCs that might be swayed by a good photo app? Apple has a lot of reasons to stay in this market.

Jul 1, 2014 2:49 PM in response to pik80

Dunno about Apple's fiscal gain/loss from Aperture, but they need a more powerful organizer/editor/cloud storage solution for regular non photo geeks. Time was only some DSLR shooting pro or prosumer had tens of gigs of photos. Now some 14 yr old with an iPhone does. And his are probably much more disordered than the pro or hobbyist. And the kid is also using some high powered app oriented filtering and editing apps, and sharing over all kinds of cloud solutions. Egad. Way more difficult problem and no one has yet sorted it. You go Apple. Meanwhile, there a lots of Aperture alternatives (yeah, you may not like the details but they really aren't that different. Change is hard.)

But I totally lost you on the tags thing. It's here now, and has been long before Mavericks tags and even before open meta tags: image files are very cool in that not only do they INCLUDE metadata keywords, but have structures for caption, copyright, location, etc etc etc. in IPTC and exif. And this can carry over to XMP sidecar files. And it's in a universal formula: even computers in your camera can read and write it. Mavericks tags are total losers by comparison; they are in extended attributes and don't even carry over past OS X. Fail.

And photo metadata is already indexed by Spotlight. TONS of it. Try this: open up a Spotlight window (like when you search in the menubar, then hit "Show All in Finder." Once it's open, erase the Search for: field. Hit the little plus button, and then you get a another line with like "kind is" or something. Change it to "other..." and then have a look at all the photo (and media) metadata Spotlight already searches. You can select say "Focal length" and "less than" and put in 3 and get all your photos with f stops less than that. Or use "keywords" and get the keywords you wrote in with LR. Or even all photos above a certain latitude. It goes on and on. Way better than Mavericks. But hey, I use mav tags a lot too: so you search for both say a mavericks tag like "wedding" and a keyword like "wedding" (it would be OR in the search) and you'd have both say the wedding calendar events you tagged and the photos keyworded with wedding. Cool, no?

BTW, HoudahSpot makes this way easier.

And unfortunately it's not likely that edits can be traded like this. Moving a contrast slider in Pixelmator or even developing a RAW is peculiar to each app; it's not like adding ASCII text. Apple would have to make a tool like "contrast" that everyone would agree to use instead of their own. It may work for some stuff, but you're still gonna have proprietary edits just like your have Numbers and Excel files.

Finally, LR and Aperture aren't photo browsers. They are non-destructive editors; they have to produce copies so that you don't edit the RAW. They store the info about the edits use those instructions to produce versions. If you need a version you have to export it. But your point is well taken: if I wanna insert an image here in this post, why when I select "insert image" aren't I brought into Aperture, where I select the version, and then when I go back to this post I can just paste it? It's a frustration for anyone who has to use any other software for images.

Jul 2, 2014 10:08 AM in response to Rob Gendreau

The workflow you just described is insanely complicated. Why do I have to search for “Wedding” both as a keyboard and a tag?! Since tags and keywords are the same thing why don’t we rely on one tagging solution instead of two completely separate ones?

The point of having tagging in the OS is that we can now rely on a single standard instead of a different tagging solution from every app. Why do some LR keywords not show up in Spotlight? Why am I digging through hundreds of spotlight search criteria to find the ones that pertain to photography?

“...unfortunately it's not likely that edits can be traded like this.”

But they should be.

““Moving a contrast slider in Pixelmator or even developing a RAW is peculiar to each app”

But it shouldn’t be.

“Apple would have to make a tool like "contrast" that everyone would agree to use instead of their own.”

Good

“It may work for some stuff, but you're still gonna have proprietary edits just like your have Numbers and Excel files.”

Well no, Number and Excel are competitors that have little reason to be compatible. Photos and Pixelmator are compliments that will both benefit from their tight integration with each other. Photos (and LR) is where you start to edit your photo and Pixelmator (and Photoshop) is where you go to make manipulations beyond the basics. Apple and Pixelmator have reason to create an alliance with each other. Perhaps it makes sense for Apple to make Pixelmator into a subsidiary like they did with FileMaker Inc.

I understand that *technically* speaking Photos and Pixelmator don’t edit raw photos but that wasn’t what I meant. After Photos makes the initial copy of the raw file (since you don’t technically edit raw files) you shouldn’t have to keep making copy after copy of the same file every time you want to make an edit.

When I work in LR I may at times export a photo in PS about five times. I shouldn’t have five copies of that same file that are all virtually identical to each other. This becomes confusing as I later go back and try to remember which one of these files was the best one. I suppose I could give the best photo a high rating but I don’t think I should have to remember to do that each time. Also I may not even realize it is the best photo at the time I make the edit.

I keep hearing some say that Apple is just going to focus on the consumer market from here on out. The problem I see with this view is that after nine versions of iPhoto I question how much more growth the consumer photography market even has. Pro raw editing software, on the other hand, is still a very immature field. I can easily see at least another decade of major updates being rolled out. Adobe may be doing the best at the moment but that can change over the next couple years. There is certainly plenty of room for improvement.

Jul 2, 2014 10:43 AM in response to Rob Gendreau

if I wanna insert an image here in this post, why when I select "insert image" aren't I brought into Aperture,

User uploaded file

When I select the camera icon to insert an image the file selection window that opens has the media Browser which allows me to select from my Aperture library.

Finally, LR and Aperture aren't photo browsers. They are non-destructive editors; they have to produce copies so that you don't edit the RAW.

Can't speak for LR but what you wrote there as far as Aperture is concerned is totally wrong.

Thee is a lot of noise in this community right now, understandable considering the way Apple handled this but at least we can try to keep the factual errors to a minimum.

Jul 2, 2014 1:32 PM in response to pik80

Well there are standards and they are the IPTC/exif metadata. Across all OSes. And even after Apple adopted Mavericks tags it still uses keywords in its photo applications. And no mav tags in iOS either (but you CAN read IPTC/exif data in photos in iOS). Tags are in extended attributes, and hence may be inaccessible in another filesystem.Even Apple Mail doesn't use them. You have to put the tag in the form of x-tag or something into the header info (BTW, if you like tags, as I do, check out MailTags. It does this and more).

If you photo apps don't read standard IPTC/exif data something is seriously wrong. Also you don't have to dig through hundreds of criteria to search for photo metadata. The stuff is already indexed; the categories like aperture, caption, etc are ways to narrow searches. All your LR keywords would be in the Spotlight index, assuming you enable Spotlight on the volumes where they reside, and that you wrote the keyword metadata to the files.

I think you have a stronger point re tagging/keywording in regards to XMP sidecars. Yet another area for improvement. If you add keywords to a RAW in Aperture or LR they are not gonna write that keyword to the RAW unless you apply some force. The standard way of doing that is by using XMP sidecar files. And short answer is that for some Spotlight indexes the XMPs via the rich text mdimporter; for some this means modifying that same importer. In either case, if Spotlight finds the keyword it can only point you to the sidecar, not the companion RAW. Since a tag is in the extended attributes, it sorta isn't in the RAW, but Spotlight would send you to the RAW if it were tagged. So allowing THAT kind of tagging in Aperture, LR or whatever would be great IMHO.

And I'd like to ADD tags from Aperture. But I'd always want it to be in addition to photo keywords and other metadata. Just like captions, filenames, and other stuff is separate. I can still search for them at the same time if I want. Or ignore them. And you may already have the "wedding" problem: that word may in the content of files, or in a filename, or in an email header, or a web url, or whatever. Even without photo metadata you sometimes have to tell Spotlight to ONLY search tags and ignore other criteria.

Since you like tags, check out Leap. I use it to keep lots of stuff together that have tags and keywords, and other searchable attributes. Even email. All in one place. And HoudahSpot; it has templates you can set up for just photos and it displays all the photo metadata in one panel.

And although I'd like to see it happen, non-destructive editing can be a problem because edits have to be stored somewhere. A universal format would be cool, but we'll see. Editors like Pixelmator are different tools than DAMs like Aperture, even though they both can say crop or change contrast. You'll find tons of photographers who never use PS, and tons of graphic artists who never use Aperture. Depends on the focus of your work. Even the system wide versioning Apple introduced for stuff like Pages or Text Edit hasn't been universally loved. And BTW, not sure Pixelmator doesn't view Apple as a competitor. Sure, Apple may provide them with some cool tools to sell more Pixelmators...or may develop an application that'll make Pixelmator disappear. And Filemaker is an interesting example: Apple formed Claris, which bought whatever FM was at that point (from MS?). Eventually Apple brought stuff from Claris back in (AW?), and left FM with Claris, which changed its name. Maybe they should Aperture OUT to Pixelmator 😉 I'd LOVE that. Shoot, given Apple's assets they could send it to 'em free.

And sorry Frank, I shoulda been more specific. I meant "in Aperture" as in the program itself, not a media browser like what you show (and basically iMedia Browser is the same thing, but with LR catalogs in addition to Aperture or iPhoto or file folders).

Jul 2, 2014 1:38 PM in response to Rob Gendreau

"Sure, Apple may provide them with some cool tools to sell more Pixelmators...or may develop an application that'll make Pixelmator disappear."

I can't see Apple killing Pixelmator. They have their hands full with overhauling a raw browser app so trying catch up, not to mention kill, Pixelmator would be a hard and arguably pointless task. Pixelmator made an app that will make some people consider buying a Mac over another computer. Why would Apple mess with that?

Jul 2, 2014 1:51 PM in response to pik80

pik80 wrote:

"Sure, Apple may provide them with some cool tools to sell more Pixelmators...or may develop an application that'll make Pixelmator disappear."

I can't see Apple killing Pixelmator. They have their hands full with overhauling a raw browser app so trying catch up, not to mention kill, Pixelmator would be a hard and arguably pointless task. Pixelmator made an app that will make some people consider buying a Mac over another computer. Why would Apple mess with that?

You'd think they wouldn't. But I'm sure that if Apple bought Photoshop and gave it away with systems Pixelmator wouldn't be happy (er, on second thought maybe given the difference in complexity they'd be ecstatic). Apple has a symbiotic relationship with developers of software that makes Macs attractive, but that marriage, like any, has its bumps. The tagging we're discussing is an example: some applications, like Punakea, were on the cutting edge of developing open meta tagging. Apple sorta ran with that and created Mavericks taggng system. Punakea? Now redundant, and has been contributed to the open source community, and seems to be dead. Too bad; I miss it. Utilities and add ons like that always run a bigger risk that changes at Apple will negatively affect them, but there are no guarantees. But the changes also make it possible for some new good non-Apple products to appear too.

Jul 2, 2014 5:52 PM in response to Rob Gendreau

And sorry Frank, I shoulda been more specific. I meant "in Aperture" as in the program itself, not a media browser

So you're saying that if you are in Safari and need to imbed an image you actually want Aperture to open, not just have access to the library?

That is not a workflow I would ever want to see implemented and I don;t think most users would. When I want to use Aperture I will open it. When I need an image for use in another program I just want to be able to get the image and I certainly do not want to have to wait for Aperture to startup.

Jul 6, 2014 8:12 AM in response to pik80

I have been reading some articles on Mac websites about Aperture and I just realized that my initial post somehow left out perhaps the most important reason for Apple to start over with a new strategy. The way Adobe is going about business these days is by piling on lots of bloat and strong arming people to upgrade to it so that they have a consistent income. This isn’t a good set up for their customers since it is exactly the opposite of what pros need. Every time Adobe adds a feature that I don’t use it simply gets in my way and slows me down. It’s not necessary for Apple to come up with Pro software that has every feature that the Adobe counterpart has. I just need them to come up with the basic functionality that the majority of pros use then provide a good extension system to allow me to customize my workflow.

Apple is different from Adobe in that they don’t need to force people to buy new pro software every year. Apple has plenty of other sources of income that they can rely on. Adobe is in the difficult position of trying to convince customers that they need to continually shell out a great deal of money so that they can make software that is more bloated. How long are customers going to put up with this? With the Mac’s new extension system creative mac based apps, not just the ones made by Apple, will focus on providing just the core functionality that the average user needs and then others can build on top of that. It is just as important for pro apps to make good decisions as to what features need to be left off their programs (and only available only by extension) as to what features make it in their software.

Streamlining the software by purging bloat is a good setup up that will allow for Apple’s software to get better with time unlike much of Adobe’s software that in some ways is getting worse. I keep reading articles by stock holders that talk about how Creative Cloud is a good long term strategy that will pay off several years down the road but I think those people are going to be surprised after seeing how all this plays out.

Jul 6, 2014 10:18 AM in response to pik80

I'm not a fan of bloat or feature creep either, but by your logic Pages would long ago have overtaken Word in the battle of word processors.

Perhaps the Mac OS will be more iOSified, and you'll get more a la carte ordering, like you do on iOS when you purchase filter packs and whatnot via in-app purchases. That's one of Apple's goals since it will increase revenue (I guess they get a 30% cut of in-app purchases too, but I dunno). I'd like more a la carte pricing; sheesh, I'd even like my cable company to offer it. But the packages will still probably be a better deal.

And I dunno about Adobe forcing people to buy new software every year. You've got alternatives. I don't mind the subscription model: I'd prefer a software company have a steady income stream and that they not try to lump stuff together in order to justify an upgrade fee. The latter phenomenon can drive bloat: people are, unfortunately, often inclined to pay when there's a whizz bang feature added that plays well in demos; speed bumps and changes under the hood often aren't enough. I'm not a pro photographer, but a $10/month fee for two of your key tools, LR and PS, is incredibly cheap. A housekeeper pays more than that for tools. And I can easily ignore the features of both programs that I don't use.

Jul 6, 2014 2:36 PM in response to Rob Gendreau

I agree that there are alternatives to Adobe products. What I meant was for people who choose to stay with Adobe you are forced to pay upgrade fees. I don't see how a steady income stream has led to better products. What I do see with the steady income is that they will continue to get paid for updates whether they are great or pure crap.

It is hard for me to make a comparison between Word and Pages as my word processing demands are so minimal. When I need to compose a long letter I will often start in OmniOutliner and then use something as simple as TextEdit to convert the outline to paragraph form. I am not one to discuss the merits of Word. Also Pages is positioned a little different as it is more of a layout tool then Word is. My growing frustration with Adobe is they keep adding hokey pointless updates while the list of very important features never seem to get added anymore.

Apple is right to let Aperture go

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.