Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My imac wont boot up from the install DVD

Hi there

My first post and am desperate for a solution. I have a 27" intel imac running OSX Snow Leopard version 10.6.8 (I think) A couple of days ago, I mistakenly deleted some files on my imac (not too sure which ones - think it was the .usr folder). After this I had to turn off my mac and when turning back on I received warnings of a Kernel Panic with various codes and notifications.

I tried to install from my OSX DVD but, after holding down the C key, the disc just ejects and I return to the Kernel Panic screen.

I tried to reboot in Target mode with a firewire cable to another mac running the same OS but the host will not see the target.

I have tried to enter "Safe" mode but when I do, the keyboard wont allow me to type anything.

I have tried holding down "option" when booting up but, although the Mac HD appears on the grey screen, when I click on it, it just returns to the Kernel Panic screen.

I have also run the Apple Hardware Test several times and get different error messages every time ... HDD-1283, HDD-1277, HDD-1295

I'm not too bothered if I lose all my files (I'd rather not but if I have to, its not the end of the world).

Is there anything else I can do??

Thanks in advance

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 4:31 AM

2 replies

Jul 1, 2014 7:24 AM in response to cfc_reece

The error codes suggest a problem with your hard drive, or hard drive fan from the info I could find. You can make a Genius bar appointment for a free evaluation.http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

They have more extensive, in depth tests that they can run for a more definitive diagnosis.

When you boot holding option with the install disc in the machine, the install disc does not show up in the start up manager? If it does try clicking on it, after it loads, if it loads, select your language click continue when the menu bar comes up select Utilities>Disk Utilities. Select your disk in the left and see if S.M.A.R.T status says verified, if not bring it in. If it does say verified click the first aid tab then click repair disk.

If you are unable to boot from the install disc in C boot mode, option boot, the start up drive may have failed.😟

Good luck

My imac wont boot up from the install DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.