Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.9.4 + Spotlight still reindexing after every boot/restart

Has anyone else had any problem with spotlight still wanting to reindex their mac after every restart/reboot - the finder becomes completely bogged down until spotlight finishes reindexing my mid 2011 iMac hard drive. I have tried a clean install from scratch, clearing the caches, deleting the spotlight files and letting it reindex from scratch, nothing seems to get rid of the initial lag once the desktop first appears - it happens after every restart or initial boot up….as soon as the icons for the hard drive appears, it immediately goes into "reindexing iMac hard drive" and takes a few minutes to complete, during that time, the computer is totally unresponsive to anything until it finishes. (Computer configuration = Mid 2011 iMac with 16GB ram and 500GB H.D. that has over 200GB of free space - Time machine backs up to a 2TB Lacie D2 Drive via firewire 800).

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 7:33 AM

37 replies

Jul 1, 2014 7:36 AM in response to mlac_007

Be patient and let the indexing finish.

It won't be finished until the Spotlight menu shows no sign of indexing.

Or if you really don't use Apple's search content functions, you can consider these search engines just for searching individual files and folders:

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware/ - EasyFind

http://www.osxbytes.com/ - iFileX (note the MacUpdate link provided on osxbytes page has a Malware advertisement forMacKeeper, do not download).

Mind you indexing helps searching Time Machine backups, Apple Mail, Calendar, and contact applications.

Jul 1, 2014 10:01 AM in response to mlac_007

Step 1

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

syslog -F '$Time $Message' -k Sender mdworker -o -k Message Rne Norm -k Sender mds | tail | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

If any personal information appears in the output, anonymize before posting, but don’t remove the context.

Step 2

Enter the following command as in Step 1 and post the output:

mdutil -as 2>&- | pbcopy

You can then quit Terminal.

Step 3

Launch the Console application in the same way you launched Terminal. In the Console window, look under the heading DIAGNOSTIC AND USAGE INFORMATION on the left for crash reports related to Spotlight. If you don't see that heading, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar. A Spotlight crash report has a name beginning in "mds" or "mdworker" and ending in ".crash". Select the most recent such report, if any, from the System and User subcategories and post the entire contents—the text, please, not a screenshot. In the interest of privacy, I suggest that, before posting, you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Please don’t post any other kind of diagnostic report, such as hang logs—they're very long and not helpful.

Jul 1, 2014 2:28 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc.

This is the only result I get - there are no spotlight logs listed "mds" or "Mdworker" or ".crash"

Jun 30 17:25:14 (Warning) Server: No stores registered for metascope "kMDQueryScopeComputer"

Jun 30 17:25:14 (Warning) Server: No stores registered for metascope "kMDQueryScopeComputer"

There are some logs under system diagnostic reports for

AppleIDAuthAgent.gamed,identity

FMCore

iBank 5

instald

powerstats

Shove

Tom Tom Home

Virusbarrier

Jul 1, 2014 4:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks Linc...so far this time it seems a little faster to the finder to launch programs - I did a complete restart after I did what you listed and when it stopped I did a complete reboot - it is now Indexing - this time it is rebuilding the drive index as it says about 2 hours remaining - I will let it run and let you know what I find out whenever it completes.

Jul 1, 2014 6:03 PM in response to mlac_007

Ok, this time it finished indexing the whole drive - still has the lag (and indexing taking place) after a restart. BUT... now when I run the above, I am getting the following:

)".

Jul 1 20:01:40 FontImporter: Validation failed - "/Users/mark/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Counter-Strike Source/hl2/scripts/settings.scr".

Jul 1 20:01:40 FontImporter: Validation Result - "(

kATSFontTestSeverityFatalError

)".

Jul 1 20:01:43 FontImporter: Validation failed - "/Users/mark/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Portal/hl2/scripts/settings.scr".

Jul 1 20:01:43 FontImporter: Validation Result - "(

)".

Jul 1 20:55:25 (Warning) Server: No stores registered for metascope "kMDQueryScopeComputer"

Jul 1, 2014 7:45 PM in response to mlac_007

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/Application Support/Steam

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Drag the item into the Privacy tab of the Spotlight preference pane. Close the windows and test.

Jul 2, 2014 4:17 AM in response to Linc Davis

It seems still a little faster, but the lag is still there, probably now 20 seconds - it still goes to indexing, but it quickly gets to the 80% mark and then slows way down. I placed the steam folder into the privacy settings in spotlight and now after a restart, here is the log. I also went into Font Book and validated all fonts, there were 20 corrupt red marked ones which I deleted. Suitcase Fusion 5 verified the rest of the fonts and they all checked out ok.

)".

Jul 1 20:01:43 FontImporter: Validation failed - "/Users/mark/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Portal/hl2/scripts/settings.scr".

Jul 1 20:01:43 FontImporter: Validation Result - "(

)".

Jul 1 20:55:25 (Warning) Server: No stores registered for metascope "kMDQueryScopeComputer"

Jul 1 21:26:28 (Warning) Server: No stores registered for metascope "kMDQueryScopeComputer"

Jul 2 07:06:21 (Warning) Server: No stores registered for metascope "kMDQueryScopeComputer"

Jul 2 07:06:21 (Warning) Server: No stores registered for metascope "kMDQueryScopeComputer"

10.9.4 + Spotlight still reindexing after every boot/restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.