Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Did they Do to This Forum?

I don't understand this new format!

Is this permanent?

Oh well, I guess I'll just Google my problem.

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 7:46 AM

158 replies

Jul 1, 2014 10:35 AM in response to susiecat.cinci

Yes there has been a radical change and there are still many issues to be addressed and rectified. But slowly things are improving. Many of the higher level participants are in constant contact with the Apple administrators of this site pointing out the various shortcomings. You can safely assume it will be several months before a status quo level will be achieved. I base this on my personal experience on system design and implementation..

Try to be patient and maintain a sense of humor. 🙂

Ciao.

Jul 1, 2014 11:20 AM in response to susiecat.cinci

susiecat.cinci wrote:

Thank You! I still don't like it, tho!

Ive met none yet that do. Especially those who have been here the longest, it makes helping other painful, difficult, and a huge disappointment.

susiecat.cinci wrote:

Not too many are happy with this forum.

Send feedback to Apple, most have. Maybe logic will eventually prevail.

Jul 1, 2014 12:19 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

PeterBreis0807 wrote:

The death of a thousand cuts.

I used to love my Mac, it was co-operative and worked with you. Now it is just an endless struggle to get anything done.

I suppose it depends upon what one is using their Mac for. For the seven years+ that I have used my MBPs, I have still found them easy to use. This perhaps is attributable to my failure to try an absorb and utilize every new feature that come along. Ex: Launchpad and Mission Control were very early casualties in my process of feature elimination.

The rework of the ASC certainly has been wanting and clearly there could have been actions taken that would have eliminated many of the shortcomings. Case in point, a beta test in the lounge, would have identified numerous problems that we are currently struggling with. It is easy to be a critic from this end, but having experienced the other side, I have sympathies for the Apple team involved in this rollout and I do believe that in time we may actually see a better ASC than before. 🙂

Ciao.

Jul 1, 2014 7:53 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I have been using Macs for 30 years, so I may have noticed a few more changes. 😉

I understand the need for change and welcome improvements, but there is an underlying theme of degradation in everything Apple touches these days.

I have done User Interface design and documented several applications and it seems that Apple doesn't seem to have either check-lists of what their designs are supposed to do, nor create documentation anymore. It also seems to be skipping entirely any testing by anyone other than the programmers, who suffer from tunnel vision.

Documentation, or creating manuals, for software serves more than the immediate purpose of passing on methods, it reveals errors and omissions.

I can't grasp how Apple, a corporation which has at its disposal resources beyond the dreams of many countries, seems to struggle with virtually everything it does these days.

Jul 1, 2014 10:07 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

From what I can see, sales of desk tops are dropping, hence the need to upgrade (downgrade) the facilities to meet the needs of those parts of the business that are growing ... namely phones. This is a typical example where diversification leads to support being geared to the lowest common factor ... again, phones.

If I were buying for business, there's no doubt in my mind that Apple would be bottom of the list. How can one have faith in a system that is consistently being pared back.

Jul 3, 2014 4:03 AM in response to ericfromst albans

You'll get an email notification of the replies, it will contain a link to the thread they are in.

To browse your stuff just login, click content on the toolbar, then select participated (to see threads you posted in) authored (to see threads you started) or all (to see all). You can also filter by content type (discussions,user tips etc).

It's different, but now I have adjusted it's fast, if not yet as fast as it was, one of us needs a bit more practice 🙂

Jul 3, 2014 4:12 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

OGELTHORPE wrote:

Yes there has been a radical change and there are still many issues to be addressed and rectified.

The WHOLE forum needs to be rectified now.

But slowly things are improving.

Um, no they are not.

You can safely assume it will be several months before a status quo level will be achieved. I base this on my personal experience on system design and implementation.

That is if there is anyone still in this catastrophe of a forum when / if they fix it.

Try to be patient.

I'm definitely NOT going to hold my breath waiting for this mess to be fixed.

And maintain a sense of humor.

The only thing I find funny about all of this, is that Apple thought they were making a step forward, when they really just alienated most of the people on the forum.

Jul 3, 2014 4:45 AM in response to Its-me-Luigi

It is not my purpose or position to apologize or defend the current Apple Support Community forum system. I do encourage you to discard the an emotional evaluation and try and look at the problem from perspective concentrating on facts.

It's me Luigi wrote:

OGELTHORPE wrote:

Yes there has been a radical change and there are still many issues to be addressed and rectified.

The WHOLE forum needs to be rectified now.

This is clearly a gross overstatement and insistence on immediate corrections is naive and unrealistic. It may take 10.000 man hours to build a house, but you cannot expect 10,000 men to build one in 1 hour.

But slowly things are improving.

Um, no they are not.

Had you been here the day the new system was implemented, you would now know there have been a number of changes, adjustments and improvements made.

You can safely assume it will be several months before a status quo level will be achieved. I base this on my personal experience on system design and implementation.

That is if there is anyone still in this catastrophe of a forum when / if they fix it.

I have great confidence that more changes and improvements will be made. The manager of these forum has advised us so in the past and has delivered on all promises.

Try to be patient.

I'm definitely NOT going to hold my breath waiting for this mess to be fixed.

You don't have to. No one here is required to participate on these forums. This is all voluntary.

And maintain a sense of humor.

The only thing I find funny about all of this, is that Apple thought they were making a step forward, when they really just alienated most of the people on the forum.

I can come up with a number of items that could have at least mitigated some of the problems had they been taken into account before implementation.

I have worked on large and complex systems from design, creation and implementation and therefore I have an appreciation what is involved, what realistically can be done (or not). Clearly there were mistakes made by the project team but I assure you there will be no going back.

I do sympathize with your criticism but I must say that you are not aware of what is involved so that you base your arguments on emotion rather than facts. What ever the final product will become here, I know will not be perfect and certainly will not please everyone but it will be functional Why don't you come back in 6 months and see if there is any improvement.

Ciao.

What Did they Do to This Forum?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.