Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to connect a DVI video card to an Apple Thunderbolt display?

Hello All,

In my office we had an Apple MiniDisplay monitor go bad. We have a spare Apple Thunderbolt monitor. However the MiniDisplay out from the ATI Video card will not work with the spare Thunderbolt Monitor. The screen just stays black. Everyone is saying that MiniDisplay out to Thunderbolt monitor is not compatible. The ATI Video card also has a DVI out. Is there a way to get the Thunderbolt monitor to work with the ATI DVI/MINIDisplay video card?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 9:43 AM

2 replies

Jul 3, 2014 6:47 AM in response to ShakowKnight

Hi ShakowKnight,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you art trying to connect to an Apple Thunderbolt Display and have some questions about compatibility. The following link has some terrific information about how to connect and what is compatible. Numbers 22-25 I believe will be of most assistance to you here.

Thunderbolt ports and displays: Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5219

Have a great day,

-Joe

Jul 6, 2014 1:56 AM in response to ShakowKnight

Everyone is saying that MiniDisplay out to Thunderbolt monitor is not compatible.

In this case, everyone is correct.

Is there a way to get the Thunderbolt monitor to work with the ATI DVI/MINIDisplay video card?

No. There are no adapters or converters (or replacement cards) that will help. If the computer does not have a Thunderbolt port it can't run a Thunderbolt display.

Is there any way to connect a DVI video card to an Apple Thunderbolt display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.