Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Floppy Disk Drive for Mavericks

Hello

Does anyone know of an FDD for a mavericks mac? I would like to create boot disks for an old mac. Is this a good method to consider? I am not sure how else to go about this. If there is an alternative, whatever it might be, please let me know.

I apologise for posting here but this relates to older machines in a way.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 1:05 PM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2014 1:38 PM in response to JustSomeGuy

Interesting.

What I do have is a very old Apple CD ROM, it's either an Apple CD 150 or an Apple CD 300e. I would have to unbox it to verify but might I be able to create a boot DVD? Where can I find which macs are able to boot from DVD but I suppose more importantly, can I use the current Disk Utility on Mavericks or 10.6 or 10.4 or 10.5 to create a bootable CD for older systems?

The machine I do have that needs to go through this is an old powerbook 2400. To be fair to you and anyone replying I should read the owner's manual. The system is being delivered from Japan and the OS is in Japanese so I would like to get the machine running in English.

I found a resource by a former Apple employee who states 10.5.8 was last OS X that could both read and write, I will go over it for now.

Jul 9, 2014 2:33 AM in response to LostAccount

The original system for a PowerBook 2400c/180 was 7.6.1. Other supported systems (according to Apple's technical specifications) were 8, 8.1, 8.5, 8.6 and 9. You would need to purchase an appropriate Apple system CD. Ensure that it is a retail disc (for all models), not a disc for a certain (other) machine.

You can use one of the Apple CD-ROM drives above, providing that you have the proper HDI-30 cable. See the manual for details about connecting SCSI devices and about booting from a CD.

If necessary, and if the already installed operating system is working (and you can navigate the Japanese menus), you should at least be able to create a Disk Tools PPC floppy on the PowerBook. Use the Disk Copy 6.3.3 program (the Make a Floppy command under the Utilities menu) for this. I assume that you have the external floppy disk drive for the PowerBook.

www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_8.1_Update/Disk_Tools_PPC.img.bin

http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/English -North_American/Macintosh/Utilities/Disk_Copy/Disk_Copy_6.3.3.smi.bin

One may also want to try to modify a Disk Tools PPC to hold CD-ROM software, thus allowing a CD to be read when the computer is running from the floppy disk system.

Additionally, since the computer in question has PC Card slots, an inexpensive PC Card adapter for CompactFlash and a CompactFlash memory card can be very useful for file transfers. In certain PowerBook models, such a CompactFlash card (reformatted to Mac) can even act as a startup disk (if it has an appropriate system folder).

Jan

Floppy Disk Drive for Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.