Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MyBrowserBar error assistant

MyBrowserBar error assistant, is apparently a series of annoying add-ons that can affect Safari, Firefox, and Chrome. They're products of a company called Spigot, as far as I can tell. I had already erased everything Spigot 2 days ago, for some other reason that I don't even recall, when trying to open a website that I access frequently i got redirected to Yahoo's

Search window, but not the normal window. I thought it was Yahoo's doing, but it is blocking and redirecting others as well, and their comments in Mozila Communities was what lead me to thing this is a Spigot thing. Many are calling it Malware, but most discussions about it are, of course, by Windows users, for Windows users. Spigot has a Mac removal instructions page according to the last entry by someone claiming to work for Spigot, but there may be more to it. Here is a larger discussion of it, including some, like me, on a Mac; http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1141765

I have not solved this one yet, and thought i would be protected by OpenDNS.com settings, but not this time.

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 6:17 PM

You have been hit with adware. See this site for how to remove.

The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Tool

http://www.thesafemac.com/art/

Here is an example of how you got hit with this.

User uploaded file

11 replies

Jul 1, 2014 6:58 PM in response to Mixstr888

Mixstr --

Yes, do use Thomas Reed's Safe Mac advice on how to get rid of malware.

(It's always nice to give attribution credit, Diane).

It usually always does the trick.

Just to be clear EtreCheck is a great little app, developed by a great contributor here.. The problem is that if you download it from the CNET site (and some other general apps places like MacUpdate, etc, they actually can sneak other stuff in without most people noticing. It's best to take an extra minute to find out who the developer is, and get downloads from the original source. In Etre's case, click here for a safe download.

Jul 3, 2014 2:39 PM in response to Mixstr888

Safest option is the developer's site.

You can try http://www.macupdate.com

AFAIK they are not wrapping installers with adware. BUT.... they let advertisers you should avoid on their site. The forums are full of users with computers that no longer work correctly after running these so call 'cleaners' (Memory Clean, CleanMyMac, Washing Machine and MacKeeper). Do not install any third party so-called Mac cleaning utilities. They can do harm to your Mac.

It pays to be very careful when installing to check what is actually being installed.

Softpedia is another site to avoid.

Jul 3, 2014 4:32 PM in response to dianeoforegon

diane --

You have referred many people to the SafeMac site, which was put together as a public service by Thomas Reed, a great contributor here. When I link someone work, like Kurt Lang's Font "Bible" I always include his name. It's just a nice thing to do, that's all.

CNET was contacted by John Daniels, the developer, asking them to cease and desist providing his download, with sneaky and several crapola things, like Genio. I know because I downloaded from there. It took me two days to finally realize what happened and then get rid of the darn stuff. So now, I always download directly from the developer. It's not worth going anywhere else, in my opinion.

All the best.

MyBrowserBar error assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.