Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just tried update to iOS 7.1.2. Why has do I get a "replacement needed message"?

As directed, I just tried updating to iOS 7.1.2 on Ipad. Went through process and then was told to restore system. Now it says "Replacement needed". Why?

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 10:02 PM

46 replies

Jul 2, 2014 12:21 AM in response to wazza6

You're welcome. Rectification is your problem because you were unfortunate enough to have it happen to you. I'd start with a google search, iPad replacement needed. Next I'd be off to the Apple Store to see if they could help. Try contacting Apple directly. Reading the thread you can this isn't going to be an easy problem to solve so all I can really do is wish you good luck in getting your iPad to work again. Please post back if you have success, you'll make a lot of people happy.

Jul 7, 2014 4:15 PM in response to bobseufert

Hi Bob,

I have an iPad 2 (3rd Generation). It has a camera and does not have a retina screen. It was not until yesterday that my iPad informed me that an upgrade (IOS 7.0.2 was available for downloadeven though the upgrade has been available for over several wweks. I have been reading this thread and the earlier thread you recommended and have been putting off the upgrade until the replacement issue was resolved. Since there really has been not new updates to this tread, I am assuming nothing has happened. Although I feel bad for other members of this forum, my iPad is working perfectly well and I do not want to do anything to jeopardize that. But I have read that "earlier thread" a number of times and the one contribution that could change my mind regarding doing the upgrade is: youse123May 6, 2014 6:02 AM in response to kger

I have been in regular contact with AppleCare who are very helpful. The issue has been escalated to the iOS Engineers (in Australia) and they said the issue is affecting some cellular iPad 2's (WiFi only iPad 2's should not be affected), and is definitely a server backend configuration problem with the cellular connections.

My iPad is a wifi only. Have you heard of any wifi only iPads experiencing an issue with the IOS 7.1.2 upgrade?

Jul 7, 2014 4:44 PM in response to Darrell R Coe

Aloha Darrell. It's good to hear from you again. I hope you're well. With the new format I was wondering if I'd hear from you again since the discussions no longer show who answered the question. It sounds like you've been busy working on a solution to the problem. Hopefully the Australian engineers will get the problem fixed. I wouldn't worry about doing the update, fortunately the problem is rare. Stay well. Bob.

Jul 7, 2014 10:41 PM in response to bobseufert

NNo hao, Bob

this new format does require a learning curve. This the first time I have responded using the new format and I found that I do not get alerted of your response via email like I used to. I just brought up the original thread to make sure my question got posted and I saw that you responded. I still get your responses,at least up to several days ago. I have really learned a lot and I really appreciate getting notified when you respond to a thread.

so I am understanding your response to my comment, I should go ahead and wait til this issue gets resolved before upgrading, which is fine with me. Like I said a working iPad is much better than an iPad that is not working. My youngest daughter , who has a mini asked me if I upgraded and I told her no because of the trouble users of iPad 2 were having. My oldest daughter has an iPad2 and she has not upgraded either.

thank you for the heads up and I guess I will just wait. I hope the engineers are faster than when FaceTime went down in April,

XI Xi,

darrell

Just tried update to iOS 7.1.2. Why has do I get a "replacement needed message"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.