Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 froze on update for iOS 7.1.2 and lock button is broken! HELP!!

Last night my iPhone 4 was updating for iOS 7.1.2 and it was working perfectly fine until it froze 3/4 of the way.

It has been stuck on the Apple logo and progress bar for over 13 hours, I tried draining out the battery hoping it would turn off then restart but even when it was on 0% it would not turn off. I also cant do the hard reboot with the home and sleep/wake/lock button due to my lock button being broken (it has been broken for awhile now) I can't get it fixed at the moment but I really want to be able to use my phone, I also don't want to restore my phone because im scared im going to lose everything on it.

This is really frustrating, does anybody know what else i could do to get my phone up and running again?

Posted on Jul 1, 2014 11:36 PM

17 replies

Jul 2, 2014 12:43 AM in response to Zena74

Early on June 30, Apple officially released the newest version of their mobile platform, iOS 7.1.2, which was meant to fix some minor issues behind the scenes, with a major focus on bug fixes and security updates. Unfortunately, the update process isn’t going so smoothly for some.

The Apple Support Community for iOS saw new additions pop up as some users tried to upgrade their device. As many have pointed out, the update can stall half- or a third of the way through, leaving some people to stare at gears that turn, but nothing else happens. The consistent issue seems to be going through Settings –> General –> Software Update, where the gears will continue to grind, but the update has reportedly frozen. Fortunately, there seems to be a fix.

A hard reboot is reportedly fixing the situation for those who have tried it, after their update stalls. If you are suffering through the same issue, here’s what to do: hold down the Home and Sleep/Wake button for several seconds. Do not let go until the screen goes dark, and you see the Apple logo appear. Release the button combination, and wait for the device to boot back to life.

This should complete the update, so make sure to check through Settings –> General — About, and see that you’re on iOS 7.1.2. If you’re not, just go through the update process again, and you should be good to go.

Did you suffer the stall issue? Did the hard reboot work for you?

Jul 2, 2014 3:14 AM in response to Zena74

ashi9292 Jul 2, 2014 3:02 AM in response to Zena74

My Iphone 4s froze last night, I left it off charge and this morning the battery ran out. I've put it on charge , n its back to normal! try this! better than loosing all ur pics etc!

Hi Zena

Do the same as ashi9292did if your home or sleep buttons are not working.

Leave the battery to drain then recharge your phone it will go back to its initial state updated to the new ios.

It is just a glitch not a fault

Lotsof people get same problem

Don't Panick, it is Apple

Jul 2, 2014 6:22 AM in response to Alilou89

Argh I wish I saw this earlier, I'm already in the middle of restoring my iphone (itunes says it is in the middle of contacting the iPhone activation sever). I have all my music and photos saved to my mac so that's good but im pretty sure i going to end up loosing all my contacts, text messages and apps that I did not back up earlier, due to it not letting my back up now.

If I unplug my iPhone from itunes and let the battery drain out till tomorrow do you think it will go back to normal and nothing will be deleted?
Because I remember doing this 2 days ago (without restoring my phone), and I plugged it into itunes to check what percentage it was on and it said 0% but the phone did not turn off and it still continued showing the apple logo and progression bar..

I'm not sure if i should continue with restoring my phone or not 😕

iPhone 4 froze on update for iOS 7.1.2 and lock button is broken! HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.