Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After I downloaded the latest iOS 7.1.2, the iPad mini failed to update

After I downloaded the latest iOS 7.1.2, the iPad mini failed to update. I see a pop up window saying "unable to install update. an error occurred installing 7.1.2". I have tried doing the following and still fail. Please advise.Tthank you!

-Hard reset "holding power+home button"

-Soft reset slider to turn off then waited for 5 minutes before turning back on

-Tried updating from iTunes but the back up takes up too much space than my computer has available

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 12:59 AM

7 replies

Jul 2, 2014 1:09 AM in response to han36830

FORCE IPAD INTO RECOVERY MODE

1. Turn off iPad

2. Turn on computer and launch iTunes (make sure you have the latest version of iTune)

3. Plug USB cable into computer's USB port

4. Hold Home button down and plug the other end of cable into docking port.

DO NOT RELEASE BUTTON until you see picture of iTunes and plug

5. Release Home button.

ON COMPUTER

6. iTunes has detected iPad in recovery mode. You must restore this iPad before it can be used with iTunes.

7. Select "Restore iPad"...

Note:

1. Data will be lost if you do not have backup

2. You must follow step 1 to step 4 VERY CLOSELY.

3. Repeat the process if necessary.

Jul 2, 2014 6:03 AM in response to Diavonex

I have the same problem. However, I am not able to proceed on to step 6 ON COMPUTER. iTunes does not recognize my iPad device. When i power on my iPad, it only shows the picture of iTunes and plug. I have repeated the process countless times and I am not able to move on any further. I have the latest iTunes update installed on my computer.

Jul 12, 2014 1:40 PM in response to Jassjagga

Jassjagga wrote:

AM also facing same problem after download iOS 7.1.2 ,,,, when click on install now it shows pop up " an error ouccerred during installing iOS 7.1.2 " pls help any one

Jassjagga,

If you want an answer to your problem, you need to create a new post, rather than tag onto an older post. That way you'll get an email with answers.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Jul 18, 2014 11:43 AM in response to han36830

Here is an update:
Went to Genius Bar. Was told to update it via iTunes
I went home and did just that. It also failed. But this time, the iPad mini simply won't work and stuck in recovery mode.
Went back to the genius bar again. They told me it was an underlying hardware problem but with the firmware update it accelerated the problem.
My phone was out of warranty so they asked me to buy a replacement at reduced rate. I refused because I followed exactly

what was told and my iPad mini failed BECAUSE of the update Not my fault!

Finally talked to the manager and the store paid for my replacement (Finally did the right thing). Although I went through some loops and holes, I am still a happy customer because they did the right thing at the end.

After I downloaded the latest iOS 7.1.2, the iPad mini failed to update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.