Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Problem for some applications:

Password Problem for some applications: I'm unable to download Adobe Reader, Microsoft updates. I have no password set to start the computer, applications such as Pages, Numbers, Keynote require no password for updates.

When I try to update Microsoft or Adobe Reader, first I try with no password, I get a hint and I know exactly what it means, but still unable to download. I don't know enough about passwords as to why some I can download and others I can't. So I don't know what I should read. I'm the only user of this computer and prefer not to have to deal with passwords. I'm using a MacBook Pro, Mac OS 10.9.3

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 6:59 AM

20 replies

Jul 2, 2014 1:30 PM in response to Josepmille

You don't need a password to login because you elected to autologin with your current one, bypassing that routine. To install updates usually requires your admin username and password. FWIW, all Apple computers require passwords, either to log in or to install software.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), SL & ML, G4 450 MP w/Leopard, 9.2.2

Jul 9, 2014 11:52 AM in response to Josepmille

I'v read "Reset a Login password" The "Allow user to reset password using Apple ID" is not check √. FileVault is not turned on. What do I do now?

My previous reply: "From the hep that has been provided may be I know where the problem is. When I go to System Preferences > Users & Groups; There is myself listed as Admin; Other users is grayed out. There is a password and I don't know it. When I try to change the password, the old password reads incorrect. "

Jul 10, 2014 6:06 AM in response to Josepmille

Oh what a tangled web we weave. I read up on keychain and I don't understand what I'm reading. Right now I cannot download my email on my computer, I can access it through the cloud. I'm sure it will be the same for the other iCloud feathers. When I go to preferences and select iCloud when ever I try to sign in I get some dialog box it shows up "A keychain cannot be found to store 1076701306. It doesn't matter whether I reset it or cancel it out iCloud preferences remains grayed out.

In keychain access on the left side under keychains and Read's local item, systems, and systems roots.

When I select local items nothing shows up to the right under the name column even when down under all items is selected nothing shows up. And nothing shows up to the right when under categories I selected the other options password etc. On the other hand when I select under keychains systems, systems roots I do get items to show up on the right side under names under all items, passwords, etc. Where do I start?

Password Problem for some applications:

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.