Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts iCloud account became untitled source and can't delete

Suddenly my contacts were duplicated with my iCloud account and another Icloud account name untitled source. I removes the sync from my iCloud account and deleted all contacts from my mac. The untitled source account remains there and I can't delete a single contact.

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 7:58 AM

17 replies

Sep 10, 2014 12:26 PM in response to rlitho

I had a similar issue rlitho in that instead of saying iCloud in the heading on the left in the Contacts App it said untitled source and I couldn't change old contacts or click add to contacts from the mail app (it would just bring me to a new blank contact that I would have to fill out manually). I fixed it by deleting my iCloud account in System Preferences-->Internet Accounts. Then I deleted all my contacts in the contacts App so that when I set up my iCloud account again there would not be duplicates of my contacts. I hope this helps.

Nov 14, 2014 3:46 PM in response to rlitho

As @ibrennan indicated, I had to rm ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Sources/*

I think I found the original cause of the problem on my system: prior to updating to Yosemite, I backed-up my address book to a Contacts Archive (.abbu file). After updating to Yosemite and setting up a clean iCloud account, I imported the Contacts Archive file (MyAddresses.abbu) into the Address Book. Apparently, the Contacts Archive contains information about the internet account in which the contacts originally resided--In my case, this was another iCloud account. This process resulted in the undeletable "Unknown Source" account in Contacts.

The solution I found was;

- go to another Mac that had my entire address book and use the "Export vCard" feature to export the entire address book to a .vcf file.

- Clean-up the new Mac's Contacts (rm ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Sources/*) and quit Contacts app.

- Go to System Preferences->iCloud and enable the "Contacts" checkbox

- Launch Contacts, select "All iCloud" in the left panel, and import the .vcf file

This resulted in correct account setup, but I did lose all my email groups (they apparently dont't come along in the a .vcf file format)

Contacts iCloud account became untitled source and can't delete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.