Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a macbook pro core 2 duo (late 2006) that i need to install a OS on (It doesn't have one at all).

I spoke with an Apple worker and they said snow leopard would work but he didnt know if the upgrade disk would work or not. I need help with this. I will need 5 copies so i hope i can spend 20 or 30 instead of 600. Thanks. Email is ******

<Edited by Host>

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 8:06 AM

13 replies

Jul 2, 2014 9:32 AM in response to zombill82

See if your computer is compatible with Lion. The license allows you to install it on computers you own.

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

If you buy the Snow Leopard family pack, you can install it on 5 computers in your family. You might have to look at Amazon and other places to find it.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_computers_can_you_install_snow_leopard_on

Jul 3, 2014 11:10 AM in response to zombill82

zombill82 wrote:

Snow leopard was something that was suggested to me but apparently the model of mbp i have came with Lion. So if it came with lion recovery would be an option right?

If your MBP came with Lion it should have a recovery partition. To check, boot the MBP with the OPTION key down. The display should show two HDD icons. The recovery partition will be on the right.

Ciao.

Jul 3, 2014 9:41 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

OK so i was wrong again. Apparently the model of mbp i will have (dont actually have yet) came with Tiger, which obviously doesnt have a recovery. I have found out that Lion is the best OS i can put on my computer. So with all that i plan on buying Lion when i get the computer. Now the computer is coming wiped. No OS. Can i take the Lion download on a windows computer and make a disk or usb that will install Lion on the MBP? I dont have access to another MAC.

Jul 4, 2014 6:19 AM in response to zombill82

Maybe someone else has another idea about this, but the portal to the Mac App Store is on Snow Leopard, 10.6.8. So you will first need to install Snow, then run the Combo update to get to 10.6.8, then, for Lion, it is my understanding that you will have to call Apple and purchase the code for Lion (it's no longer on the MAS). OS upgrades are tied to Apple ID's and if you didn't purchase Lion originally, you won't be able to simply re-download it from the recovery partition.

Although it's no longer being supported by Apple, you may want to stick with Snow, at least for the time being. Lion has a number of issues that were corrected in subsequent OS versions, and you may not be happy with it. But I wouldn't use the native Safari browser, which hasn't been updated in quite a while. I'd get either Firefox or Chrome, which will be far safer.

Jul 4, 2014 7:00 AM in response to zombill82

zombill82 wrote:

No OS. Can i take the Lion download on a windows computer and make a disk or usb that will install Lion on the MBP? I dont have access to another MAC.

No, that is not possible. You will need a Snow Leopard installation disk. Note that is is a requisite in order to install Lion.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Run software update as WZZZ suggests to 10.6.8 and create an App store account. WZZZ's advice of staying with Snow Leopard should be taken seriously. If you do want Lion, then you will have to purchase that from the Apple online store:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

Ciao.

I have a macbook pro core 2 duo (late 2006) that i need to install a OS on (It doesn't have one at all).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.