Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recently my computer has been struggling or erratic at best playing "you tube" videos. About a month ago I deleted a number of caches and cookies. I don't know where the problem is.

Why is my computer is struggling to play "you tube" videos

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 9:45 AM

21 replies

Jul 2, 2014 12:28 PM in response to Ruppy59

Have you tried another browser, Firefox or Chrome? Same problem? Chrome has its own version built in to the app and doesn't use the separately installed version. Maybe that'll work better.

In Safari do you have any Extensions installed (Safari>Preferences>Extensions)? If so, try turning them off and testing. If things improve turn them on one at a time and test.

Jul 2, 2014 1:00 PM in response to Ruppy59

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences… ▹ Flash Player Advanced

and click Delete All. Close the preference pane.

From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Privacy Remove All Website Data

and confirm. Test.

If you use a FireWire audio interface, disconnect it and test again. If you don't know what a FireWire audio interface is, you don't have one.

Jul 4, 2014 10:08 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis

Ok done. But, some videos will play and others won't. The advertisements always seem to play. If I click to skip the ad and start video I am looking at a black screen with a wheel churning in the center. If I wait even five minutes for the video to load it never plays. Then I will click on another video and it will play. I've had my computer for about four years and never had a problem until recently!

Jul 12, 2014 4:12 PM in response to Ruppy59

Hold down the option key and select the Wi-Fi menu in the menu bar. What values are shown for the following?

PHY Mode

Channel

Security

Signal/Noise or RSSI

Transmit Rate

Please do not post the BSSID, as that information is private.

Now hold down the option key again and select

 ▹ System Information... ▹ Network ▹ Wi-Fi

Compare the two-letter Country Code with the ISO code for your country. Does it match? The code X0 means that the country couldn't be determined. The code X3 means South America, not otherwise specified.

Recently my computer has been struggling or erratic at best playing "you tube" videos. About a month ago I deleted a number of caches and cookies. I don't know where the problem is.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.