Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless internet constantly cuts in and out, slow when working.

Hello all

I've got a mid 2010 Mac Pro with a 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8gb ram, running OS X 10.9.3. And It's driving me insane.

About two years or so it started being incredibly picky about what routers will work with it. I finally got one that worked great, at least for a while, but now for the past month or so the internet constantly cuts in and out. With network diagnostics open it will either tell me it's all good but not work, tell me my network settings are incorrect, or just go red across the board. I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro that works fine, my old 2009 MacBook Pro worked fine, all my other wirelessly connected devices work fine, it's only the Mac Pro that doesn't work, and it's been getting progressively worse. Today it started not allowing me to use the internet at all.

I've done all the system updates, I've restarted it multiple times (duh), I would try it with ethernet but have no way of connecting it that way right now. My signal strength is great, and even though I get download speeds of 70 Mbps or up on my MBP when the Mac Pro is actually working I get between 2 and 8 Mbps, although it usually disconnects before a speed test can even finish.

Anyone have any suggestions? I would hate to lug this giant thing all the way to the apple store.

Thanks

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 12:37 PM

4 replies

Jul 2, 2014 5:35 PM in response to Eazyefromli

Could be a failing Wifi card, interference from other microwave sources, or many other things.

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.5, 10.6, 10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x/10.8.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

If using Wifi/Airport...

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

(There may be better or faster DNS numbers in your area, but these should be a good test).

Click OK.

If that doesn't work try changing channels on your Router.

Wireless internet constantly cuts in and out, slow when working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.