Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS 7.1.2 affects battery life, iPhone 4S

I am seeing reduced battery performance after upgrading to OS 7.1.2. Anyone else experiencing this?

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 9:36 AM

yes on my iphone 5 - but i feel after reading comments from others that are experiencing this that I'm taking crazy pills and don't know what I'm talking about. However I have had this phone and had the same battery life for the last two years, and after the 7.1.2 update my battery life changed. Dramatically.

9 replies

Jul 8, 2014 3:09 PM in response to Lunchbkt

I really noticed the battery drain on my 4S last week. On Sunday with very few calls, the phone went to 10% in around 8 hours. Today was down to 50% power after 3 hours 10 minutes with about 20 mins of call time. Only apps open were mail, text messaging, Facebook messaging. Read this post and a few others and decided to pretty much shut off all push notifications and app background updates, bluetooth etc. The last 50% of battery lasted just over 5 hours (died about 10 mins ago). During that time period there was about 15 mins talk time on the phone and no apps open.

I would like to know if any users have discovered which particular process is eating all of this power. I thought the idea of a smart phone was to do smart things with it, not be too afraid to tweet, check the football results and send e-mails.

This battery issue with OS updates seems to becoming a regular occurrence. Apple really need to improve their QA on new OS releases or a certain Korean manufacturer will be getting a lot of new customers.

Jul 12, 2014 10:07 AM in response to Lunchbkt

Having had severe battery drain issues all week, today I have been connected to the same wifi network all day and have the same apps and processes running as the previous days. In around 5 1/2 hours the battery has only drained 15%. My guess then is the bug has to do with the 3G connection and some how the iPhone is either struggling to pick up the signal so using more power, or is constantly connecting to the 3G network for push notifications, background processes and updates.

I don't know if anyone reading this using a 4G connected phone is experiencing the same issues, would be nice to know if it's a 3G only problem, Apparently 7.1.3 is due for release by the end of July prior to OS8.

Jul 16, 2014 2:02 AM in response to Lunchbkt

I'm getting this problem as well on my iPhone 4s. Battery life was OK before the update, but now it drains much faster - hardly lasts one day. I'm also getting random other faults since upgrading - freezing, random jumping back to the home screen while in an app.... I wish I could revert to the previous version......

Jul 16, 2014 7:12 AM in response to Lunchbkt

Hello Guys,

I have the same problem. i've seen into the control Panel/General/Use, in the battery life the diference between the total time and the in use time is less tha 30 minutes in a 7 hour since last full charge. I don't use so much time , and I disabled the backgroud updates. I also reset the iPhone without restoring a backup, leavin the phone as neww and the result is teh same, seems that an os App don't leave the phone in standby mode.

you have sthe same sympthoms?

regards and hoping a fast solution.

Jul 24, 2014 8:26 AM in response to Lunchbkt

I have 4S and just purchased one of the high capacity batteries from eBay as its got soooo bad and even that hasn't hardly touched it.

I've just fully charged my phone and it says time since last full charge 16 minutes and it's already down to 94%???

Gone through turning off even the silly settings in location that check for time zone etc, emails are set to check manually and don't have hardly any apps with push notifications. It must be an OS issue which I hope they fix asap.

Aug 7, 2014 1:32 AM in response to Lunchbkt

Yup, same here. Made the jump back to iOS from a string of terrible Android phones about a month ago (bought a used 4S as it was going cheap and I was in a hurry) and the battery life is poor - even not using it the percentage drops quite quickly. Background updates are disabled for all but the apps I want to do this (not many), screen brightness is low and push notifications are only enabled for the needed apps too. Yet still it's a thirsty old thing....

iOS 8 adds the ability to see what apps are using power but if it's a background system process as opposed to an app then I don't hold up much hope for seeing what's causing it. Assuming iOS 8 doesn't fix it itself, or a possible update to 7.1.3 prior to that depending on what Apple choose to do.

This is one area where Android is handy - you can see what's using the power, process by process. Trouble is, the OEM releases are equally, if not more buggy and phones with huge batteries go flat just as quick. Thank you Google Play Services for using 70% of my battery when idling and creating millions of wakelocks.....pfft....

Thing is though, if / when Apple choose to deal with it, the update will hit all phones that day. You won't have to wait a year to get it.....

OS 7.1.2 affects battery life, iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.