Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes requires quicktime 11.2.2

Certain Movies/TV Shows won't play and a message pops up that says "This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes." How do I fix this.

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 3:51 PM

5 replies

Jul 13, 2014 11:04 AM in response to seany69

seany69 wrote:

I have iTunes 11.3 and Quicktime 10.3; I have also installed Quicktime Player 7. Whenever I try to play a trailer on my Macbook Pro or Macbook Air I get the same message: "This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes." Is this a problem with the installation on my computer?

I'm unclear on where you are trying to play the trailer. Quicktime player has 2 versions. The new one is in /Applications and the old one is in /Applications/Utilities called Quicktime Player 7. 0New Quicktime player only plays newer video formats if that fails try Quicktime Player 7.

If it is just iTunes that is causing you trouble try the quicktime trailers website…

https://trailers.apple.com/trailers/

See if the trailers can play at all.

Also post a link to the offending item in iTunes - it is possible it could be damaged in the store - if I can play it you know the issue is more likely to be at your end. Use the 'Copy link' under the triangle menu on the purchase button.

Jul 14, 2014 2:05 AM in response to Drew Reece

Sorry if I was not clear in my post. If I try to play the trailer located on the movie page in iTunes itself, the message pops up. It is not a particular trailer, but it occurs with all movie trailers in the iTunes Store. Here is an example: https://itunes.apple.com/au/movie/the-lego-movie/id843005086

If it is a problem with my computer, how is it that it occurs on both my macbooks?

Jul 14, 2014 7:47 AM in response to seany69

seany69 wrote:

Sorry if I was not clear in my post. If I try to play the trailer located on the movie page in iTunes itself, the message pops up. It is not a particular trailer, but it occurs with all movie trailers in the iTunes Store. Here is an example: https://itunes.apple.com/au/movie/the-lego-movie/id843005086

If it is a problem with my computer, how is it that it occurs on both my macbooks?

That video works for me in iTunes.

The fact it affects 2 different Macs suggests the issue could be somewhere else.

I would consider the internet connection and then move on to looking at what is on each Mac.

Can you try another internet connection at a library, coffee shop or friends house etc? That should rule out your ISP & internet connection.

Some people have had success in using another DNS server

You can specify a DNS server in System Preferences to ensure that the one provided by the router or ISP is not the reason for the error. Google DNS is 8.8.8.8, enter that in the network connection settings & retest. Make a note of any existing values that are not grey (grey = supplied by the router).

It could also be due to certificates, have you changed the CRL or OCSP settings (many people freaked out with heartbleed & chose bad settings within Keychain Access's preferences).

The other thing to do is check logs as the process is failing to see if anything appears with clues. Note down the time you start the update to make searching the logs easier.

Use /Applications/Utilities/Console to view the logs.

Check the 'All messages' section, the ~/Library/Logs section for 'iPhone updater.log'

System.log may have other system wide errors if the OS is failing, but you need to be an admin to view it.

Make sure you clear out any personal info from log output. Post extracts here, just try to select the errors & a few messages around them.

If that all fails to help, I would consider making a clean install of OS X on another disk - it may be quicker than reviewing the software on one of the Macs.

itunes requires quicktime 11.2.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.