Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reconfigure USB 2 to USB 3 because USB 2 is plugged in first.

So I have a MBA Mid 2013 Model customize 1.7 8GB bought this June 2014. And I read in apple that:

How do I get the best performance from the USB 3 ports?
The first device you plug in will configure the port, so always connect USB 3 capable hubs or devices first.

What happens if I plug in a USB 2 device into the USB 3 port first?
If you plug in a USB 2 hub first, all devices connected or "daisy-chained" to that hub will operate up to the maximum transfer rate of USB 2 speed (480 Mbps).

From what I understood, If you plugged the USB 2 on the MBA USB 3 PORT it will permanently run at speed of USB 2. (Please Enlighten me)

Unfortunately I have two external HD that has USB 2 and USB 3. I checked the System Information and found out that 1 USB Port is running at USB 2 Speed? Im not good at deciphering technical stuffs but Im trying my best. Any replies is appreciated! Thanks!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 4:59 PM

2 replies

Jul 2, 2014 5:40 PM in response to Niel

Thanks! appreciate the reply, although Im more on the One HD plug-in to the Ports and not Hubs/Groups.

I read and tested some and found an answer. For those who has the same question, this may be a clear answer.

you can actually test if the device plugged-in is running as USB 3 or USB 2. Just plug the device and go to System Information from Spotlight or about mac->more info->system report->USB. If the device is running as USB 3 it should be under USB3 SuperSpeed Bus (which is a name for USB3) and if the device is running as USB 2 it will fall under USB 3 Hi-SpeedBus (name for USB2). Thats it. You may need to refresh the System Information if you opened it first before plugging the device.

Hope this helps! Correct me if I missed anything!

Reconfigure USB 2 to USB 3 because USB 2 is plugged in first.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.