Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help! Partition "Macintosh HD" is now "disc0s2" and I cannot reinstall OSX Mavericks when factory restoring

I have corrupted the Macintosh HD partition!! I am restoring my late 2009 white Macbook to factory settings to get it ready for sale and I created some problems. Here is what happened in order:

1. Held down the power button and clicked restart.
  2. After the start up chime, I booted into recovery mode (I held COMMAND and R until the menu appeared)
  3. Clicked "Disk Utility" from main menu and clicked "Continue"
  4. Selected my startup volume "Macintosh HD"
  5. Went to the "Erase" tab and clicked "Erase..."
  6. Wanted more security so I clicked "Security Options" (iirc).
  7. Set Zero Data to "one pass"
  8. Clicked "Erase..." again
  9. This process was taking a while as expected, so I decided to start cleaning my Macbook to prepare for sale. It was really dirty.
  10. I got careless
  11. I sprayed cleaner on a rag and started wiping all the keys down. Very foolish.
  12. Next, the screen flashed to another then went BLACK
  13. Seconds later it began restart and I thought "awh crap.."
  14. After the startup chime again I booted into recovery mode
  15. I selected "Disk Utility" from the menu
  16. Now heres where things change
  17. The partition once called "Macintosh HD" is now called "disk0s2"
  18. I tried to repair it but it did not work
  19. I didn't know what to do so tried to reinstall Mavericks
  20. When I got to the page where you pick the Disk there were three choices.
  21. Option #1 was not formatted or something, #2 was" blocked", #3 "disk0s2" was also not formatted or something
  22. went back to disk utility selected "TOSHIBA...."
  23. Tried to delete the "disk0s2" partition in hope of adding a new on called "Macintosh HD"
  24. It was spinning its wheels. It was "deleting" the "disk0s2" for about 30 mins.
  25. I closed the window and am now posting from my new MBP.

What do I do?! Something is corrupted. I'm regretting trying to clean lol.

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 6:29 PM

There are no replies.

Help! Partition "Macintosh HD" is now "disc0s2" and I cannot reinstall OSX Mavericks when factory restoring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.