Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 ear speaker issues

I am using an iPhone 4 and I've recently upgraded to the most recent software update in hopes that the speaker issue will be solved (iOS 7.1.2).

When I am using the ear speaker (making any calls/receiving calls, facetime audio etc.) the sound is extremely muffled to no sound. The speakerphone works perfectly. If this is a software issue how do I correct for it? I want to downgrade if this software is not compatible with my phone. I've had the speaker work at times before but recently it has not gone back to normal. So I am not sure if the ear speaker is damaged or if this is software issues?

Any help is appreciated.

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 10:20 PM

1 reply

Jul 5, 2014 9:39 AM in response to Felish92

Hello there, Felish92.

The following Knowledge Base article offers up some great information for troubleshooting your very issue:

iPhone: Receiver and call audio quality issues

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts5196

1. Increase the volume during the call.
  2. Make sure nothing is blocking the receiver. If you're using a protective case or display film, remove it and try again.
  3. Make sure nothing is plugged into the headphone jack or the dock connector.
  4. Check the receiver opening to see if it is clogged with debris. If necessary, clean it with a clean, small, dry, soft-bristled brush.
  5. Try another location with better signal. If the audio issue happens only when on a call, it could be due to the location.
  6. If the iPhone is paired with a Bluetooth headset or a car kit, try turning off Bluetooth on your device. Learn more about troubleshooting Bluetooth connections.
  7. Restart the iPhone.
  8. Make sure your device is up to date.
  9. If the issue is not resolved, contact Apple Support.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,
Pedro

iPhone 4 ear speaker issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.