Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No in-call audio over Bluetooth with iPhone 5S

Goodmorning all,

I am having this strange issue with my iPhone 5S i just dont understand.

The issue is that when i pair my iPhone to any bluetooth device (headset or car stereo) and i place a call with bluetooth handsfree i do not get any audio from the iPhone to the device.

The strange thing is that it IS possible to stream music to my bluetooth devices which seems to be working just fine.

This started about 3 weeks ago, and eversince it`s not possible for me anymore to place calls over bluetooth which is verry annoying because i'm on the road allot.

The iPhone 5S (32GB) is on firmware version 7.1.2.

Thing i have tried to fix this issue, and non of these work:

1. Reset network settings to default.
  2. restart the iphone a couple of times
  3. connect multiple bluetooth devices and cars.
  4. Reset phone to factory defaults (without conneciton to iTunes)
  5. Restore full iPhone with iTunes and without backup connected it to bluetooth devices.
  6. Disable 4G and call using 3G/GSM.

At this point i have no clue that to trie next.

I'm a technical guy but this beats me...😕

The weirdest part for me is the fact that i am able to stream music from my iPhone over bluetooth... 😮

Is anyone experiencing this same issue and if yes, what did you trie to solve it?

Does anyone know a fix for this, in hardware or software ?

Thank you for the input!

It already helps if you just post if you ever experienced this or think with me on this.

Best regards, Maikel.

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 1:13 AM

32 replies

May 18, 2017 6:14 PM in response to Petr-x

Hey Petr-x, You Rock!!!

My issue started after a screen replacement. When using my bluetooth earbud I could hear everything (including my phone ringing) except I could not hear a caller's voice. (Additionally, a year earlier I had the battery replace without issue.) Started working after I read your response to the techician working on iPhone 5s. He backed out the screws out a 1/4 of turn and I am now hands free again. I live by phone being hands free and was lost without being able to hear anyone.

Thank you ever so much :-)))

Jul 3, 2014 8:55 AM in response to maikel049

Thanks so much for highlighting this and proving I am not alone. I have an identical problem driving me crazy. The phone (5s) rings fine through bluetooth device, I can listen to voicemails even, but when the call connects, I cannot hear anything and yes, I've tried all suggestions on the internet such as resetting network settings etc.

this can't be an isolated oddity because it happens in both my family cars. One is a lexus in built bluetooth and the other is a samsung hf1000.

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE BEFORE I GO AND BUY AN ANDROID PHONE. APPLE YOU SLOWLY SEEM TO BE LOSING YOUR WAY.

JAMES

Jul 20, 2014 3:14 PM in response to maikel049

"Me-too!" post. You are definitely not alone.

I actually brought my car in to the dealer because I thought the in-car Bluetooth was broken. They showed it working fine on other phones. Dusted off another BT headset and sure-enough- it doesn't work either. I can stream music and voicemail, I even get the touch-tones if I manually make a call, but absolutely no ringing sound or in-call audio. It is maddening.

I'm making a Genius Bar appointment tomorrow for this. It actually seems to be tied to the 7.1.2 update (for me anyway), as it worked fine before.

Jul 21, 2014 11:38 AM in response to maikel049

Took it in to the Genius Bar. They verified the problem, did a complete wipe/reset, and verified that it was still a problem. He was in disbelief as-well until he witnessed it for himself, as it is too strange that it works for everything but phone calls. Fortunately the phone was still under warranty- so they replaced it for free. Replacement working so-far. I'm installing the 7.1.2 update before installing anything else on it, and I'm going to test the BT and WiFi (I had a previous issue with it) thoroughly before I do anything else with it.

Oct 6, 2014 8:48 PM in response to maikel049

HHello,

have same problem after battery replacement, but i can also hear ringing trough BT but then no sound either way...

can not sort it out for 4 months, very strange to me. Everything else working fine over BT Everyday, just no call sound

on ANY BT device... Really need help with this, i am also tech skilled but this is hard to understand to me 😟

No in-call audio over Bluetooth with iPhone 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.