Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Legacy .mac account can no longer be used on AIM

As of this week, I have lost the ability to use my legacy .mac/MobileMe account to log into AIM/Adium/Pidigin or like services. I have had this account since I owned a G3 ibook in 2003. I have quite a few contacts that I reach exclusively through this user ID. What I do not have, however, is a mac capable of running higher than 10.6. My primary desktop is a Windows 7 PC.

I have continued to use my @me.com user Id to log into AIM through various clients including, AIM, Trillian, Pidgin, and the iOS application BeeJive since the MobileMe shutdown. Suddenly, as of this week (July 1st, specifically), any attempt to log in with anything other than iChat or Messages (on a work computer) fails.

I was not informed of any changes via an email, nor were there any notices that legacy AOL support was going away. Did I miss some kind of memo?

Any attempt to log in returns the following error: "Received unexpected response from https://api.screenname.aol.com/auth/clientLogin: Password/LoginId Required/Invalid"

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 2:59 AM

10 replies

Jul 3, 2014 6:44 PM in response to randers4

To me, as a long time user of the service, this is unacceptable. Not that there's anything you can do about it. They did not just cut out access to older macs, they cut out access to third party clients as well as those who use any kind of messaging while mobile. The most frustrating part is that I'm now going to have to go find a mac I can borrow with a newer OS so I can contact everyone on my list and tell them I can't use the account any more.

Seriously apple, you're starting to make me want to drop your entire environment with moves like this. My plans to buy an macbook for personal use have just been put on indefinite hiatus and I probably will switch to android once my phone contract's up.

Legacy .mac account can no longer be used on AIM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.