Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to check which disk am I booted in to?

Just got new iMac running Mavericks, and new Seagate 3TB ext HD for external backup. Have cloned the iMac to Seagatewith Superduper, made sure that Seagate was correctly formatted, told SuperDuper to make it bootable etc.

Just tested whether I can boot into it, firstly tried holding down Option Key. It was a bit sticky doing it that way, but it eventually booted. As it all looked EXACTLY THE SAME as my internal HD I thought I would go back, changed the desktop image, cleared everything off of desktop and re cloned. (Then reverted back to old destop image and put all stuff back where it was on desktop). Rebooted into clone, this time going through "system prefs/startup disk" expecting to see new desktop image, but NO, all looks exactly the same as internal HD! Spotlight did say it was indexing new clone disk though..... Is this something to do with how Mavericks works?

Ideally, I want the booted clone to look a bit different in some way to my internal HD, just so I can visually see which I'm booted in to. ie that is why I changed desktop image before cloning.

Very confused... Just want to check that my new clone is indeed working and bootable before I put it in the safe.

Any help appreciated.

Kate

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 4:42 AM

The external/clone should show up on the Desktop with a generic orange icon. To check which one you are booted to, go to  ->About this Mac. Not sure about 10.9/Mav, but in 10.8 Apple restored the old way of putting the booted volume on top. I would think they'd have kept it like that for 10.9 also.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2014 4:42 AM in response to Kathykate

The external/clone should show up on the Desktop with a generic orange icon. To check which one you are booted to, go to  ->About this Mac. Not sure about 10.9/Mav, but in 10.8 Apple restored the old way of putting the booted volume on top. I would think they'd have kept it like that for 10.9 also.

Jul 3, 2014 5:04 AM in response to Kathykate

Hi,

Set up Finder Preferences so the booted drive always appears in the top right hand corner of the desktop:

- Finder -> Preferences -> General

- Under " Show these items on the desktop: " enable Hard disks and External Disks

- Close Finder Preferences

- Right click on the desktop -> Choose " Sort by " -> Kind

- Use unique names for your disks. To change: click on the name, hit return key, type the new name.

Cheers

Jul 3, 2014 7:57 AM in response to Kathykate

Kathykate wrote:

...Ideally, I want the booted clone to look a bit different in some way to my internal HD, just so I can visually see which I'm booted in to. ie that is why I changed desktop image before cloning...

As WZZZ says, the (USB?) external should have a different icon. But to see which drive you're actually running from, in a Finder Window, right-click on the Toolbar (the top bar in the window) and pick Customize. One of the buttons you can add to the Toolbar (if it isn't already present) is "Path." Click on the button and you'll see the path right out to your computer, including your boot drive. If the icon is different, you'll see which one you're actually booted from at that time even if the name is the same. I've found that when I clone the internal to an external (which I do frequently), the unique icon I've pasted into the upper left of the Get Info window of the internal, which also identifies the drive on the desktop and in Disk Utility, will not be carried over as part of the cloning process to the clone.

Jul 3, 2014 8:05 AM in response to WZZZ

Aha, I was right, I checked by going to About this Mac and it is not booting into the clone, have done a bit of fishing and seems others have this problem, see here, it's identical to what is happening to me

http://help.bombich.com/discussions/problems/35039-imac-fusion-drive-clone-not-b ootable

Something to do with the usb 3 cable. They solved it by reverting to USB 2, Unfortunately, I have no other way of plugging the Seagate into my Mac, as it doesn't have a usb 2 socket (the Seagate doesn't).

So, currently I have a brand new Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive and no way to boot in to it. I can back up OK but that is pretty useless if I can't boot in to it too... Luckily I've only had it about a week so I suppose I can return it.

I'm not going mad am I, that disk should work fine with my brand new iMac? (I have a 3TB Fusion Drive, but that shouldn't make any difference as to how I back up or boot, I don't think?).

I might see if SuperDuper have any forums and see if they have any answers too.

Jul 3, 2014 8:29 AM in response to Kathykate

FWIW, I just tried booting from a clone of an early 2013 rMBP, and while it took enough time for the external to spin up that the internal booted, on a restart, the Startup Manager presented all the clones as well as the internal, and when an external clone was chosen, it booted up, albeit slowly (but not USB 2.0 slow). The connection is USB 3.0, the drive is a Toshiba 3TB and CCC did the cloning.

I'd suggest trying a different USB 3.0 cable since they aren't all created equal. I'd also suggest not installing any software that came with the external since that tends to mess things up. I have no experience with Fusion Drives (though Mountain Lion and Mavericks like to create Logical Volume Groups on large internal drives), but if Bombich says CCC works with them, I'm sure it does.

Jul 3, 2014 8:44 AM in response to Kathykate

Kathykate wrote:

Can I plug Seagate into my old 2007 iMac (on Mountain Lion) and see if it will boot from there? I have an idea that won't work as new clone is on Mavericks?

It's worth a shot. According to MacTracker, the 2007 iMac can boot into the "Latest release of OS X" which currently is Mavericks. While what's installed isn't customized for an iMac that old, it might work. Also, while the device end of the cable is unique to USB 3.0, the computer end should be compatible with both USB 3.0 and 2.0.

Jul 3, 2014 10:02 AM in response to Kathykate

USB 3.0 should be backwards compatible to USB 2.0. Just read the CCC link. Looks like it's the cable issue. No experience with 3.0. Will an older 2.0 cable fit into the 3.0 port on the Mac?

EDIT: Ah, I see you are saying that the external won't take a 2.0 cable? I'd do a one pass zero erase to make sure your data isn't on the drive and send it back.

Maybe a USB 2.0 male to USB 3.0 female adapter? Not sure about the requirement for pins though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4SR1PN4103&cm_re=usb_2.0_to_ 3.0_cable-_-9SIA4SR1PN4103-_-Product

Jul 3, 2014 10:39 AM in response to WZZZ

WZZZ wrote:

...Will an older 2.0 cable fit into the 3.0 port on the Mac?...

The "A" connector, the one that plugs into the host, will physically fit both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 host sockets. The USB 3.0 cable's "A" end has all the pins necessary to connect to a USB 2.0 socket as well as a separate set of USB 3.0 pins to mate with the connections in a USB 3.0 socket if the host has one. It's up to the computer's circuitry to manage the connection properly and it doesn't always. The original rMBP's had USB 3.0 connections but their behavior was somewhat problematic. The second generation rMBP's had the connection issues worked out. The OP's iMac is current so USB 3.0 operation should be transparent, as long as the connected device cooperates and the cable is good (and any software supplied with the external isn't interfering).

Jul 3, 2014 2:59 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Well I will get back to this tomorrow and digest what you are saying, just to add that I didn't load any new software as I didn't need any.

I don't have any other usb 3 cables like this one which fits into the Seagate, so can't substitute to try. If you turn it on it's side it's like a flattened squashed B shape. Other end which goes into Mac is completely normal USB with blue inset. My usb 3 cables which go into my 2 Lacie disks are a completely different connection, bigger, squarer....

such a pain having to send back, luckily Amazon bought so shouldn't have any trouble. Will look again tomorrow when my head is clearer, thanks for input.

Jul 4, 2014 2:54 AM in response to dwbrecovery

I've come back to the problem refreshed after a night sleep, Getting the new iMac sorted has thrown up all sorts of problems and it was all getting a bit wearing!

Today's news: First thing I did was try to boot into the new Seagate from my elderly 2007 iMac running Mountain Lion. Guess what? IT BOOTED!! Using same usb 3 cable (which I plugged directly into the iMac, which is only usb 2 capable), so can't be a faulty cable. Weirdly, it didn't have the new desktop picture I'd deliberately put on, but I checked under 'about this mac' and it said it was running from the clone.

So then I followed dwbrecovery advice and tried booting from new iMac, but with Seagate plugged into Belkin usb2 hub. Guess what? IT BOOTED!! This time with the new desktop picture too! And it put the booted drive up the top.

User uploaded file

So, looks like it wasn't a problem with the drive, but something to do with booting via usb3 as mentioned by dwbrecovery and also in the link to Bombitch I posted.

There is so much to remember as earlier this week I was having problems getting my elderly scanner to be seen by new printer connected by network, and that was solved by unplugging from Belkin and plugging directly into Mac!

Upshot is that I won't need to send back the drive. Hurray. And just remember that USB3 to copy, USB2 to boot. Hopefully this is something which may get sorted some time in the future?

Thanks for everyone's input.

How to check which disk am I booted in to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.