Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I connect my iphone 5c to a midi controller and then my controller to my imac to record directly to Garageband? Thanks Paul

Hi

can anyone tell me what connectors I need to connecy my iphone 5 c to my M Audio oxygen 25 midi controller and then at the same time connect the Oxygen Controller to my iMac to record directly to garageband?

The Midi controller only has 1 USb port by the way.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 7:01 AM

13 replies

Jul 3, 2014 11:23 AM in response to pauldepechemode66

For your iPhone, you need a MIDI to Lightning connector interface.

There are several products out there. For example the IK Multimedia

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmidi/

To connect the M Audio to your iMac, just connect it to the USB port (I guess the M audio has a USB port too). Check in the Audio MIDI Setup utility if your system recognizes the Keyboard, or if you need a Driver. The M Audio website should tell you that.

If you download the free Logic Remote app for iOS (it works with GarageBand despite the "Logic" name), you can actually play your GarageBand instrument via Wi-Fi using the touch interface on iPad (sorry not for iPhones). This is really cool, and you can use some of the unique smart instrument touch interfaces.

I explain in great details how to make all that work in my manuals "GarageBand X - How it Works" and "Logic Remote - How it Works", the only comprehensive books available for those two apps.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 3, 2014 12:19 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi Edgar,

Im not sure Im explaining myself properly. I understand that I connect my M audio controller to my imac via my usb cable which I always do but then what is connecting my iphone to the controller so I can play synth apps. The only port on the back of my controller is the USB port ( its square shaped almost) so if thats in use where does the iphone connect to on the controller ?

Jul 3, 2014 12:33 PM in response to pauldepechemode66

Does that mean you want to play you MIDI keyboard and send the MIDI signal to the iMac and the iPhone at the same time?

That does not work. A MIDI signal is a data signal and not an audio signal, where you can use a Y-cable to split it.

(The back of your keyboard is called a Type-B USB connection, the square one instead of the flat Type-A USB connector).

Jul 3, 2014 1:19 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi, im obviously using the wrong terminology.

What I want is to play the synth apps on my iphone on the keyboard of my Oxygen controller and directly record what Im playing on the controller straight into GB on my iMac.

Basically just do the same thing i do with any plug in using my Controller only the source is my iPhone this time. Im not sure that Midi is what I mean. Sorry and thanks. The iphone is new to me and I just couldnt figure out how to connect all 3 devices together at once as you can see by the photo I have only 1 usb port and cant figure out where the iphone connects to the controller and then the controller to the iMac.

Jul 3, 2014 2:50 PM in response to pauldepechemode66

The only way i can think of is the following::

• Your MIDI keyboard has to be connect to your iPhone (see previous post)
  • You record into GarageBand iOS using the new IAA (Inter-App Audio) standard
  • Your Synth app on the iPhone has to support the IAA standard for that to work (optional Audiobus, a total different story).
  • On the GarageBand for iOS you choose the Synth app as the input of an Audio Track
  • Now you can record the audio output from your Synth app (played with your MIDI keyboard) directly into your GarageBand app on your iPhone
  • Save the GarageBand Project and open it up in the GarageBand app on your iMac

I think you already realize (in case that is the procedure you are looking for) that those steps are a little bit advanced. I describe all that in my manuals "GarageBand for iPad - How it Works" and "GarageBand X - How it Works" in great details. Especially for the brand new IAA standard, there is not much information out there yet.

Here is a screenshot from my manual about the different windows in GarageBand's Settings Window to choose an IAA app

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jul 4, 2014 11:22 AM in response to pauldepechemode66

pauldepechemode66 wrote:

Wow this is way more complex than it should be.

I personally dont see the point in apps on phones if its so hard to connect to my DAW.

It is not hard nor complex. It is just new and different. Once you have done it and understand the concept, it is then actually quite elegant. And keep in mind, this is version 1 of this new IAA standard.

BTW, just step back for a moment and look at what you can achieve with these little devices.

Oct 4, 2015 11:25 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Hi Edgar - I see your response was a while ago but in case you're still around here: have you personally used the Lightning USB camera adapter to connect with a MIDI controller? I bought the adapter to connect to my iPhone 6 and it does not even seem to recognize a simple USB stick, let alone a MIDI device. After several tries I'm getting no help from Apple support because they keep telling me that the camera adapter is not compatible with the iPhone, period - only with the iPad.So I'm wondering if there's some trick that you know about? Thanks.

How do I connect my iphone 5c to a midi controller and then my controller to my imac to record directly to Garageband? Thanks Paul

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.