Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight cannot find files in the Library folders.

Spotlight does not find files which I know are located in the Library folders. Do I have to add these specific files to the

list of folders which is in Spotlight Preferences? How do I do this? Are all user files not automatically searched by

Spotlight?

I am using OS 10.9.3

Brian.

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 7:26 AM

10 replies

Jul 3, 2014 8:38 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

While Spotlight's preferences includes a list of files searched I understand that this list is not comprehensive. That is, most systems and some user files are not included, to reduce risk of confusion by displaying files that are not usually of interest to the user.

My reference to "Library folders" included both Library folders.

Jul 3, 2014 6:14 PM in response to Beetone

Click on the Show All button, if it exists, when doing a search, click on the plus sign, and ensure that system files are included in the search criteria. This screen shot shows how it found a com.adobe.fpsaud plist file in /Library. Do note that I did this from Snow Leopard and Mavs might display a slightly different window.

User uploaded file

Spotlight cannot find files in the Library folders.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.