Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

reset my Mac Mini to factory default (not my Mac)

I was given a Mac Mini at work. It's brand new out of the box, but when I turned it On it asked be for credentials, instead of going through the steps described in the small manual that came with it. I googled how to reset root password, created Apple ID from another PC, and was able to login.

But I think what happened is that we probably got a demo unit that was on display in a store. In this case I'd rather reformat my Mac to the factory defaults. However, when I try to install OS X from the recovery mode it did not accept my Apple ID as OS was not purchased using it. So, now I'm afraid to format the computer as Im afraid I will not be able to install OS on it afterwards.

What should I do?

We're all Windows based firm, this is a new project that client required a Mac for. And I cannot get any help in house even from admins as they don't know Macs.

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 9:05 AM

9 replies

Jul 7, 2014 12:24 AM in response to Irasha

How old is it, do you know?

Have you tried Internet Recovery (cmd-option-R)

A couple of days from the distributor company purchased it from. Of course, we could return it get a new one, but I don't want to loose a week or more of work. If there's a way to reset it, it'd be great. Yes, I tried the recovery mode - that's where it asked me for apple id OS X was purchased with.

reset my Mac Mini to factory default (not my Mac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.