Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hp officejet 6500 10.9.4

I just updated my Mac to OS X 10.9.4 and my HP OfficeJet 6500 Wireless printer (model: E709n) has stopped communicating with my Mac over WiFi. It was working yesterday (printing and scanning). Now since the OS X update, it won't print or scan. When I try to print, the print dialogue says "Printing - Looking for Printer." Then switches to " Printing - Unable to locate printer." Same thing happens when I try to scan. It just hangs and never locates the printer.

Any ideas why this is happening and what I can do to solve this? Anyone else have any issues after updating to OS X 10.9.4.

I'm running a Mac Mini (late 2009 model) and always have the latest updated software and drivers.

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 11:07 AM

5 replies

Jul 11, 2014 2:40 AM in response to Scuba.Steveo

I spent 2 1/2 hours in online chat with Apple support yesterday and got no resolution. I seemingly tried every possible solution, and the behavior of the Mac/printer interface is now stranger than ever! I can print via AirPrint from my iPhone 5s but not from my iPad Air ("no compatible printers found"). My Mac can see my printer and I can bring up the preferences panel for it in HP Utilities and that communication seems to work fine. I was able to print a test page from that screen, for example. However, when I try to print anything else (from Notes, Pages, email, etc.) the printer icon appears for about 5 seconds showing that there's one job in the queue, then it disappears, apparently forgetting that the job ever existed. When trying to use the wi-fi scan function from HPScan, my printer shows up, but when I try to scan a doc, a message appears that says I can't connect to the printer. I am ready to throw both out the window. Or I guess I could go buy a USB/printer cable, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a wi-fi enabled printer.

hp officejet 6500 10.9.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.