Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sync wants to use the Login Keychain

Since the upgrade to 10.9.4 I'm asked to enter the password for the keychain every time I reboot my machine.

User uploaded file

I use portable Home Directory and iCloud keychain sync.

So far I have not yet found a solution to bypass this problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 11:48 AM

162 replies

Jul 4, 2014 5:08 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

Are you talking about the HomeSync Password in the Login Keychain? My only other passwords are the Network Password and application passwords. Deleting both the Network Password and the HomeSync Password had no impact on the pop up.

In addition to upgrade to 10.9.4, I made one other system change about this time on the server. That was to enable server side file tracking.

Tim

Jul 10, 2014 4:12 PM in response to Peter Bruderer

I believe I was to solve the HomeSync login keychain issue in 10.9.4 via the following workaround:

Unbind (remove) the open directory directory server in Users and Groups with a local admin account. Remove all Mobility preferences for the user in Workgroup Manager. Log in as the mobile user. There sync preferences will still probably be cached. Log out. Recreate the user's Mobility preferences in Workgroup Manager. Log in to the user's computer with the local admin account and re-bind (add) the open directory server. Log in as the mobile user and the HomeSync login keychain dialog should no longer appear.

My environment: 10.6.8 OS X server. PHDs selectively sync at login and logout.

Robert

Jul 14, 2014 10:26 AM in response to Peter Bruderer

Peter,

I did not delete the mobile account from the machine, but rather removed the mobile account management for the user via Workgroup Manager on unbound the computer from the directory server. The user was logged in and out without management. Then I re-added mobile management in WGM and re-bound the machine to the OD server. The user again logged in and the management settings appeared to refresh and the HomeSync password was properly stored in the keychain. Of course, it remains to be seen whether the settings will stick over time.

My environment may be different, so this may not work for you. I have also filed a bug report.

Jul 16, 2014 5:53 AM in response to Peter Bruderer

I just wanted to add in my two cents... Brand new MacBook Air's are having this issue for me. My file server for home directories is a 10.6.8 box. Is this an incompatibility between 10.9 client and 10.6.8 server? I've done a ton of digging client-side and can't find a work around. I've tried re-building keychains like we used to in 10.5+... nothing. I've got 129 Air's all with the same issue, and school starts in 2 months!!! I need a fix badly, haha!

Jul 16, 2014 6:41 AM in response to Peter Bruderer

I have the same problem with minimum 8 iMacs. These have been updated to Mavericks this year. The mobile accounts existed since Snow Leopard, which has been the "starting" OS on most of the machines.

One new iMac with Mavericks pre-installed does not have the problem, the phd-account which this machine is using exists as long as the others.

OS X Server is running 10.6.8.

Last night I followed the guidance of Robert removing the open directory server in Users and Groups, unbinding all "home"-directories in Workgroup Manager and deleting the content of any home-directory of every mobile user account. We do not sync, it is only for using different ID´s.

After adding the open directory server again the client told me that the server does not support or deliver ssl. I accepted and added the ODS.

We never had this problem until OS X 10.9.4 update on Monday last week.

Home Sync wants to use the Login Keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.