Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"this apple ID was not used to purchase OSX Lion"

Have the late 2009 imac (21.5" with 4GB and 500GB HD) and was running OSX Lion 10.7.5. This is my kids' computer and the hard drive was pretty much full up of junk. So I wiped the hard drive and began the process to reinstall OSX Lion using the original installation DVD that came with the computer when I purchased it. Goes through all the steps to install and then asks me to login with Apple ID and comes back with "This Apple ID was not used to purchase OSX Lion" Well, of course I purchased it. It came with the computer. It is the only installation disk I have. Talked to Apple support, tried different solutions with them. They even sent another disk. Same message.

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 12:24 PM

Lion didn't come on a disk - it was the first of the download only versions of OS X. If it's a late 2009 iMac it would have come with OS X 10.6.x Snow Leopard. There should be two grey disks that came with the Mac: Disk 1 for the OS and Disk 2 for the iLife apps.

My guess is that you'll need to install 10.6.x from the disk, once installed do software update to bring it up to 10.6.8, go to the App Store in the Apple Menu, login with the ID that purchased Lion and go to the purchases tab to see if Lion is available to re-download.

You could, of course, install Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Mavericks for free, so long as you are happy to do that and check that any third-party apps you rely on will work in Mavericks.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2014 12:24 PM in response to Azissou

Lion didn't come on a disk - it was the first of the download only versions of OS X. If it's a late 2009 iMac it would have come with OS X 10.6.x Snow Leopard. There should be two grey disks that came with the Mac: Disk 1 for the OS and Disk 2 for the iLife apps.

My guess is that you'll need to install 10.6.x from the disk, once installed do software update to bring it up to 10.6.8, go to the App Store in the Apple Menu, login with the ID that purchased Lion and go to the purchases tab to see if Lion is available to re-download.

You could, of course, install Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Mavericks for free, so long as you are happy to do that and check that any third-party apps you rely on will work in Mavericks.

Jul 3, 2014 12:48 PM in response to Azissou

Perchance, was there a USB Thumbdrive version Lion 10.7 included with the computer

when it was new? If you had that, (as the computer likely shipped with 10.7 installed only

if it had a backup installer) then you could install from there.

If the computer has an internal optical drive, there should have been grey-label install

restore media discs (DVD specific to that model build) with applications & OS X on it.

Such an original DVD disc set would also have an Apple Hardware Test on DVD.

The 10.7 Thumbdrive version was offered on a limited basis, no longer available, at $69.

Per the MacTracker database, the only model shown which shipped with 10.7 installed

and also had an optical superdrive, was the iMac (21.5, Late 2011) model. Earlier model

versions show the shipped OS X on media (DVD) as being OS X 10.6.x Snow Leopard.

Avoid Mavericks if you have/possess older software that you would be using regularly.

There may also be a firmware update that could make it hard to revert to the original

OS X version if the Mavericks is installed on certain models that supported it later.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

"this apple ID was not used to purchase OSX Lion"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.