Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7.1.2 battery drain

hi

My wife has iPhone 5 and I have iPhone 5s. we both upgraded to iOS 7.1.2 last night and our battery run out in the middle of the day. On top of that when I plug it on the charger the phone gets really hot... this happens to both phones...

Tried to downgrade but wasn't able

anyone

help

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 12:22 PM

86 replies

Jul 4, 2014 3:21 AM in response to Dimitris Ast

I also have the same problem. My 5s was fine until the upgrade. Now it sometimes doesn't charge when I put the cable in but regardless, I lost about 30% battery life in about 1.5 hours this morning and I didn't even use it. When plugged in the other night watching YouTube, it was charging but the battery was actually losing charge when plugged in. My phone is always warm and it never used to be. I have cancelled every location service and push notification and it made no difference. Thanks apple. Now I have a phone that lasts about 4 hours on standby.

Jul 4, 2014 11:10 AM in response to razmee209

This still does not address the sudden change in battery life after an update. Phone gets very hot when the battery is draining. Something is running in the background that Apple hasn't fixed yet. Turning off functions that previously had no impact is not a fix, it is a crutch. Can't believe this is not found during testing.

Jul 6, 2014 1:05 PM in response to Spinsq

NO that is not the case with me , i spoke with apple support last night and they guided me to restore my phone as new , they said it would fix the problem , but it didnt , my phone lasts half a day . My wifes phone is still closed and does not charge . I have another friend that has the same problem . Herr battery run out and the phone hasnt started yet ( its been 3 days ) now ... Apple has to release a new update fixing that .... The restore option doesnt do anything .....by the way apple technician checked the status of my battery remotely and said that it was ok , also the temperature .... so if the battery is ok wheres the problem....and why my phone is still hot ...

Jul 6, 2014 1:16 PM in response to Dimitris Ast

You can also try these.

Use airplane mode on areas with low coverage.

Turn on Wifi if it is available and turn off cellular data. 3G/4G/LTE actually drains more battery than wifi

Disable location service when not in use

Settings>Itunes & AppStore> Turn off automatic downloads for updates, apps and music.

Settings>General>Background App Refresh>OFF

Settings>General>Auto-lock>1 minute

Settings>Mails, Contacts, Calendar>Fetch New Data> Turn off push and select manual for all the email account listed below

Jul 6, 2014 1:33 PM in response to Dimitris Ast

These are some ways to save battery. You don't have to do all these. On low coverage areas your phone will continue searches for signal and attempt to establish 3G/4G/LTE thus drains battery. Location specific apps will keep pinpoint your location and upload your location for Find My iPhone. Backgrounded app keeps refreshing apps which keeps them active in the background, and email push/fetch refresh every mins or hour so if you rather have a less battery drain phone you can try these. It's no use having a phone that dies in the middle of the day unless u have a charger and outlet to charge.

You can turn toggle on and off location in the control center, airplane mode, active up front app will refresh itself when in use, and emails can fetch itself when u open the mail app. No need to have emails on constant push/fetch unless u waiting for important email.

Heat alone degrades phone battery so keep it cool.

Why have a dead phone? Might as well keep it at home

iOS 7.1.2 battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.