Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes constantly ask me for my password when iTunes starts up?

Every time I start up iTunes on my PC I get a pop, or two, that asked me for my password for podcasts but as soon as I input it the window closes then immediately pops up, then I input my password, the pop up closes then pops up again asking me for my password...over and over and over again. The only way I can get the pop up to go away is I close it with the red X but the window pops up again so I close it with the X then it closes then pops up again. This will go on about 5-7 times then it finally goes away...but then the other window for the iTunes Store comes up and we go through this aggravating dance all over again. I've called Apple before on this bit no one seems to have a clue. HELLLLLP

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 1:47 PM

2 replies

Jul 5, 2014 12:04 PM in response to daelitesmom

If the pop-up prompt mentions Mevio, then do not put any password into the box. Simply cancel (or close) the box.

Mevio (the Podcast host) went bust in April 2014 - they no longer operate and as a result of Mevio's failure, some Podcasters have lost their Podcast feeds. In other words, the Podcast no longer works. The password prompt is to allow the site owners to get into their own site, not you.

The reason that you are now affected is that unfortunately, in the last update to iTunes (11.2), Apple has changed something and now, your iTunes checks every Podcast in your Library, even if you are not subscribed to the Podcast. In the past (i.e. before the update) iTunes checked only the Feeds to which you were subscribed. You only need to have one episode of a Podcast in your Library, and even if you have never subscribed to it, iTunes will now check that Podcast feed as well, every time it does its regular check.

1. If the Podcast Feed is still active, and you are subscribed to it, then iTunes will download any new episodes or, if there are none, it will do nothing. This makes sense!
  2. If the Podcast Feed is still active, but you are not subscribed to that Podcast, then iTunes does nothing (so why it checks it, I don't know! It makes no sense!
  3. If the Podcast Feed is no longer working, an exclamation mark appears next to the Podcast title in your iTunes Library. But why iTunes checks Podcasts to which you are not subscribed, I don't know. That makes no sense!
  4. Lastly - and of particular relevance to this discussion, if the Podcast Feed is no longer working and it is a Mevio Feed, then you get the password pop-up. The pop-up makes sense, but it makes no sense why iTunes checks in the first place. It never used to do so.

So each pop-up is for a separate Podcast Feed.

Even more unfortunately, until Apple recognise what has happened, it isn't going to get fixed. Currently, many contributors to these discussions have not yet realised what the issue is and I think Apple are a long way from recognising this too!

The way to deal with this is as follows:

1. When iTunes starts and the Mevio pop-ups appear, count the number of pop-ups as you delete, cancel or close them.
  2. Then look through your iTunes Podcasts Library for Podcasts with an exclamation mark to the left of the title.
  3. Try subscribing to each of these Podcasts in turn. Wait for the subscription request to register.
    1. If it is accepted, ignore it (and unsubscribe again if you wish).
    2. If the Mevio pop-up appears, this is one of the offending Podcasts. Choose whether to delete it by deleting the header. Note that even if no episodes are listed for this Podcast, if you check the Podcasts folder for that Podcast, you will probably find the folder and with some episodes in it. You are looking for the same number of Mevio pop-ups in this step that you have previously cancelled (in step 1 above)

Podcasts are stored in the same folder as your music (your iTunes Media folder), in a folder named Podcasts. Each Podcast programme has its own folder, but note that a Podcast named “The...” will be in a folder named “The...”. So the folder for "The Art Of Photography" (which is one of the problem Podcasts) will be in a folder named "The Art Of Photography" and not "Art Of Photography".

Why does iTunes constantly ask me for my password when iTunes starts up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.