Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After having to reset my i pod classic (160GB) I find that relaoding data onto it uses far more space than previously. I had 9500 songs which only used about 40GB. Now I have only 4600 songs and this has used 70GB. Why this discrepancy?

Much less space on my ipod since resetting and reloading data. I had 9500 songs with 100GB free. Now I have 4700 songs but only 65GB free. Why this discrepancy?

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 2:27 PM

9 replies

Jul 5, 2014 3:35 AM in response to philipfromsheffield

Does the iPod display a large amount of "other"? If so you may need to wipe the device properly and reload again. In some cases an iPod's database can become corrupt, leaving old copies of the media taking up space on the device, but not connected to its library. Alternatively were you previously getting iTunes to convert higher bitrate songs to a lower bitrate in order to squeeze more content into a smaller space?

tt2

Jul 5, 2014 2:46 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the idea. I don't think I have any thing other than music, but others have suggested that resetting the device did not in fact clear it.

It looks as if I'll have to clear the device-something I was quite loathe to do again, but if needs must....

As for converting higher bitrate songs, no usually I leave them untouched.

Jul 6, 2014 4:45 AM in response to philipfromsheffield

Do you see a large orange "other" section as in the fiend's post above? (Thank you Phil.)

"Other" is the device's database, album artwork cache, any files you manually copied over in disk mode, and anything else that forms part of the used space on the device that isn't accounted for in the other named sections. Typically it is quite small, but when large in relationship to everything else then it will be lost copies of the database and media that haven't been erased before a fresh database and new content has been added. A complete restore is the only way to clean up these files.

tt2

Jul 6, 2014 2:43 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks so much for the advice. I checked out the bitrate of the stuff I had already loaded onto the device and found that by altering it more space appeared!

Now I have a nearly full I pod but I can live with that. I really don't fancy resetting it and starting again. It took weeks to load the thing in the first place and copying several 1000 CDs into ITunes was a real pain.

Cheers anyway.

The thing that annoys me is that Apple insist on calling music data "songs". Most of the stuff I put on the I pod is instrumental, hardly "songs". What is wrong with "tracks"?

Phil

Jul 7, 2014 11:13 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks so much for the advice. I checked out the bitrate of the stuff I had already loaded onto the device and found that by altering it more space appeared!

Now I have a nearly full I pod but I can live with that. I really don't fancy resetting it and starting again. It took weeks to load the thing in the first place and copying several 1000 CDs into ITunes was a real pain.

Cheers anyway.

The thing that annoys me is that Apple insist on calling music data "songs". Most of the stuff I put on the I pod is instrumental, hardly "songs". What is wrong with "tracks"?

Phil

After having to reset my i pod classic (160GB) I find that relaoding data onto it uses far more space than previously. I had 9500 songs which only used about 40GB. Now I have only 4600 songs and this has used 70GB. Why this discrepancy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.