Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

System Image Utility Failing Error 2

I've built my 10.9.4 gold image on a Macbook Pro, created the image with SIU and deployed successfully to the other Macbooks. When I went to deploy to the iMacs we have I get the error OSX Could not be installed on your computer. Did some research and found I needed to install the Combo update if I wanted to deploy to multiple hardware, so installed OSXUpdCombo10.9.4 into the gold machine. Now I can no longer import that with System Image Utility.

System Image log looks like:

"/Library/NetBoot/NetBootSP0/IMG-OXL-1094-All.nbi/System.dmg"

created: /Library/NetBoot/NetBootSP0/IMG-OXL-1094-All.nbi/NetInstall.dmg

ditto: can't get real path for source '/tmp/mnt_bs.aLkzKL2z/System/Library/CoreServices/PlatformSupport.plist'

Execution of 'createRestoreFromSources.sh' failed. Cleaning up.

"disk5" unmounted.

"disk5" ejected.

Failed to create image from restore source.

The operation couldn’t be completed. (System Image Utility error 2.)

Looks like this can happen if the version of Mavericks on the server and client don't match. So I've installed the combo updater on the server for good measure. Still getting the same error.

Server reports it is running 10.9.4 (13E28),client says the same.

Any idea where to look next?

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 7:39 PM

3 replies

Jul 7, 2014 8:20 AM in response to OxleyCollege

Not sure where you got your information, but the combo update will NOT create a valid source. You will want to download the 10.9.4 Installer, and install your master system from that. Installing an update, combo or not, will leave the recovery partition out of sync with the bootable system. As the recovery partition is an integral part of the image creation process, it is very important they be in sync.

System Image Utility Failing Error 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.