Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

not recognizing wireless printer at all

Hi. I hope this is in the right section.

I am trying to connect my wireless printer to my Macbook Pro so I can print from it. This has worked in the past, but I have not tried to use the printer in many months (until now). However, the Macbook does not seem to pick up the printer at all. It will not allow me to add it to the printer list because it simply does not register as an option. I also cannot find my printer's software on my computer (it must have been there before because I was able to print fine from the Macbook before.)

This could be due to a change in Wi-Fi networks that my household underwent during the time I was not using my printer. However, I reconfigured my printer to the new Wi-Fi network and it seems to be running fine. Furthermore, I am able to connect wirelessly to the printer using another iMac in the house (the printer registers on the iMac's printer list). This convinces me that it is a problem with my Macbook and not my printer or my network.

My Macbook is working fine with the same internet network as the printer. (That's how I'm able to make this post, hehe.)

I have searched in numerous threads regarding the same issue, but none have answered my question because most of them have been fixed with "add the printer to the printer list". As I have said before, I cannot do this because my Macbook does not even pick up the printer.

I'm running on a Mid-2010 Macbook Pro with OS X 10.8.5. My printer is an Epson XP-400 purchased about two years ago.

Anyone know what to do? Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 7:57 PM

6 replies

Jul 6, 2014 9:33 AM in response to kuromi8

Hi kuromi8,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are trying to connect your Epson XP 400 printer wirelessly to your computer. I do see in the following article that this printer software is supported. Have you run Software Update to get the most up to date printer drivers?

OS X: Printer and scanner software available for download

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3669#epson

If you have the most resent Software Updates and the printer still cannot connect wirelessly, is it possible to connect via USB connection to help isolate the issue to network or printer/drivers?

The following article has information on isolating and troubleshooting print issues on Wi-Fi which may help as well.

OS X: Connecting a Wi-Fi printer to your Wi-Fi network

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3500

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Have a great day,

-Joe

Jul 6, 2014 10:59 AM in response to joe_73

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your help!

I have run Software Update. Everything is up to date (with the exception of upgrading to Mavericks, which I would rather not do), but my printer still is not wirelessly connecting.

I just tried printing via USB from my Macbook to my printer and everything worked fine. I'm glad to know that works. Though, my computer is still not recognizing the printer wirelessly at all. However, I am fairly certain this is not a problem with my network because the iMac can connect and print perfectly fine to the printer wirelessly.

It is odd. The problem seems to be solely with the wireless relationship between my Macbook and the printer.

I had actually found the second article you linked before consulting the support community. I read through all of it a few times, but nothing seemed to help in my situation.

Any other tips?

Thanks again,

Kuromi8

Jul 7, 2014 7:03 AM in response to kuromi8

Hi kuromi8,

Another step you may try would be to reset the printing system and add the printer fresh again. The below article doesn't completely pertain to wireless printing but the steps for resetting the printing system are here for you.

Troubleshooting printer issues in OS X

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3147

If the issue persists, try these additional steps:

1. Reset the printing system, then add the printer again.
  2. If the issue still persists, reset the printing system again. Download and install your printer's drivers. Then, add the printer again.
  3. Contact the printer vendor or visit their website for further assistance.

Please let me know if you get your printer up and running!

-Joe

Jul 11, 2014 12:03 PM in response to joe_73

Hi Joe,

Sorry about the late response, I've been out and about the past few days.

Just tried resetting the printing system, which went fine. However, once I tried to add the printer fresh again, no luck. It is still not showing at all on the Add Printers list.

Maybe I ought to call them.

Thanks again,

-Kuromi8

not recognizing wireless printer at all

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.