Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4th Gen won't connect to internet even though it says it's connected

Hello Apple Community!

I have been using my (4th Gen) Time Capsule to back up my devices and for my household WiFi for about 2 years now. The other day, after a storm, my connectivity was down. I thought it was my ISP, but after bypassing the TC and plugging the Ethernet Cable that would normally connect to the TC directly into my laptop, I was finally able to get back onto the web. (In fact, I am typing this question while hard-wired directly to my ISP modem... but I digress).

Here's the problem (and screenshot's provide a thousand words) -

User uploaded file

The Time Capsule SAYS it is connected, but every single device that is connected to it {iPhones, MacBook, Xbox, etc.} will not connect to the internet. Each device is giving an error saying "Cannot connect to internet" or "Unable to connect to internet".

Remedies I have tried already:

1. Contacted ISP and verified that the internet was still working
  2. Reset ALL devices including - modem and TC (like... 100 times)
  3. Checked update for TC (and I am current with update 7.6.4)
  4. Switched from DHCP to Static IP
  5. Programmed DNS server to recommended addresses (99.196.99.99 and 99.197.99.99) and released them back to automatic
  6. Turned OFF security password for WiFi and set network to OPEN
  7. Factory Reset TC
  8. Rebooted both TC and modem through both Apple recommended and ISP recommended power cycle instructions
  9. Read through all current, passed and relevant 4th Gen Time Capsule connectivity issues throughout thread
  10. I am about to see how the TC floats in the pond out back soon... (not kidding).

I have tried everything and it wont work! The only way I am typing this to the community is directly connecting to the ISP modem. Any suggestions, please help!

{P.S. - I took the screenshot of the router by pugging the cord back into the AirPort TC so you could see what I see, but again, to no avail.. I couldn't connect to the internet via the WiFi)

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 10:37 PM

6 replies

Jul 4, 2014 5:43 PM in response to KenoTy

Electrical storm could have blown the WAN port of the TC, without the TC diagnostics showing it up.. hence the green led.

If you have not already done so, try powering down the TC for several hours. You need it cold, so overnight is a good idea.

Power up the TC and quickly test it.. you have around 10min before issues start if it has heat issues.

No luck quickly change the TC to bridge mode.. ie on the Network tab.. make sure it is off (bridge mode).

Plug the modem to another port of the TC.. LAN 1 2 or 3.. does the light come on?? From a computer, test if you have internet access. In this mode only one computer should have internet. Tell me how that test goes.

Do you have a computer running any OS prior to Mavericks? Even windows would do so you can load 5.6 airport utility.

In 5.6 utility you can set wan port speed to 10mbit half duplex.. I want you to do that.

User uploaded file

And then test it again in router mode.

What modem are you using??

Jul 6, 2014 7:20 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the response LaPastengue -

I left the TC unplugged for 24+ hours when we were out of town yesterday, so it was nice and cooled down to run the test you suggested.

I tried connecting to the TC on all the other LAN ports 1,2, and 3 however, there is no internet connection from that either. I also couldn't connect with any other device that I plugged into the LAN ports (I have another laptop that is Windows 8 and again, no avail). I down loaded the AirPort version 5.6 on my Windows 8 laptop and it still wouldn't give me any response.

The funny thing was when the Wi-Fi first came up, in the Air Port Utility the Internet light was yellow, but after I clicked on the AirPort Time Capsule, it went Green.

To answer your other question, the ISP I am forced to use (because of my rural locale) is WildBlue/Exede Satellite Internet. Like I said in my earlier post, I am able to connect when I bypass the TC all together and connect directly to the router provided by the ISP. My modem is a ViaStat Sunbeam 2 Satellite Modem: Model RM4100.

I am afraid at the next step and I hope there is something that can be done...

P.S. - Here's some irony (or not...) Access to the TC hard drive is fine. I can swap files back and forth no problem, but still can't connect to the internet.

Jul 6, 2014 9:54 PM in response to KenoTy

You are going to need to reveal some info to me for me to see what is happening..

You can request Apple to later delete the post.

I need to see when you plug directly into the modem what IP, subnet, gateway and dns you get from the computer's network.

I need you to then do the same with the TC plugged in and show me what IP,subnet, gateway and dns you get.

You must be getting something for the LED to go green.. but the issue can be the gateway address is not allowing packets out, because it is not in the subnet of the TC wan IP. Sorry if that sounds complex but it is correct network topology.. the problem is ISP break it all the time.

It is no use posting the info with it blanked out.. that is the problem.. but I would either talk to your ISP or test with another router. Most normal routers are not so sensitive about it.. Apple is and gives us big problems on fibre connections in particular.

Jul 9, 2014 3:09 PM in response to LaPastenague

LaPastenague -

I am sorry for the delay, vacation is soaking up most of my time, but when we're home there isn't much time to do things because we're in and out.

I didn't want to post the IP Address (for hacking reasons).

I ended up caving and scheduled a time with tech support. We tried everything. Spent over an hour and a half on the phone with them and we couldn't get anything to work. I was able to get another TC (2TB, instead of my old 3TB) but it connected flawlessly.

Essentially, with the storm, it caused an irreparable damage to the WiFi port and all the bypasses, updates and work-arounds didn't work, so the only result was to buy a new one... which *****.

I really appreciate all of your assistance, and I would like to send you the old one just so you can play with it to see if there's anything that you could figure out... If you want it.

Sincerely,

KenoTy

4th Gen won't connect to internet even though it says it's connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.