Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

losing italics in preview

The data: iBooks Author 2.1.3 / Mac OSX 10.9.4 / 4th-gen iPad running iOS 7.1.2

I am previewing a Multi-Touch iBook in landscape mode, and I seem to be occasionally losing my italics (applied as character styles and from the toolbar typeface popup). The italics appear to be reaching the iPad – I can see them as the page builds, but as soon as the page is fully loaded, some italics drop out.

I'm using Cambria, which shows up in Font Book/Kind as "OpenType TrueType."

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 11:49 PM

3 replies

Jul 6, 2014 12:30 PM in response to Richard Hurley

Since posting, I located a thread that deals with this issue. I have modified the techniques I found there and have a fix that has worked so far. (Note, I had all italics defined in a character style before starting process below.)

1. Create a new character style called italics only and strip out all character attributes except italics = yes.
  2. Select all instances of old italics character style and reformat as italics only.
  3. Go to formatting bar and reset all italics only text to Regular, then re-set as Italics.

This process has to be repeated throughout the book, since the scope of the "Select all uses of x" command seems to be limited. (By section?)

Nasty hitch: after doing this, all selected instances formerly set to italic only show up as modified None in the characters styles palette. (I.e., they display the red flippy triangle.) God help me if I need to select them again.

I hope like crazy this works. I'll send up another flare if it doesn't. If anyone has any words of wisdom, I'd still be grateful to hear 'em.

Apple: c'mon guys. This one looks like an easy catch.

losing italics in preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.