Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Unable to write to library Check that you have permission to write to the library directory.

Yesterday I had a perfectly good ext. HD with 15 different iPhoto Libraries on it.

I have backups of my ext. HDs, and yesterday I needed to do a bit of switching around, so I took another disk which had been a clone backup, repartitioned it, and copied the ext HD with iPhoto libraries to it using SuperDuper! so I've got a backup of my precious photos. Today I went to open an iPhoto library on original drive I always use and all **** has let loose. I've had different error messages ranging from

The iPhoto Library is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permissions.

to

iPhoto Library Manager was unable to open the library “Max's photos” The library “Max's photos” appears to be in use by another copy of iPhoto (e.g. a copy running on another machine, accessing the library over the network). Please quit any other copies of iPhoto that have this library open and try again.

and

The disk “xxx” wasn’t ejected because one or more programs may be using it. You can try to eject the disk again or click Force Eject to eject it immediately.

I have managed, one way or another, to get all the libraries working again. Some through repairing permissions, and some through opening directly from iPhoto and repairing. (I usually use iPhoto library manager but it couldn't open a few of them).

However, there is one stubborn library (2 years worth of family pictures), and I'm getting the error message

Unable to write to library “xxx” Check that you have permission to write to the library directory.

How shall I deal with that? I was going to follow some advice about opening package contents and trashing iPhotoLock.data but I don't want to make the situation worse.

And finally

Why did this happen?

And what about the new backup drive I did yesterday, will I encounter all the same problems if I try to open any of those libraries?

And if I copy again, which I do periodically, is the same thing going to keep happening?

I know you won't have all the answers, but a bit of help understanding what has just happened would be good!

Only other info I can give is that both HDs were plugged into a Belkin hub. They were both Lacie D2s, with usb3 cables, the belkin hub is usb 2. The clone which was on the 2nd drive before I repartitioned it was from my old iMac running Mountain Lion.

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 1:11 AM

49 replies

Jul 4, 2014 2:26 AM in response to Kathykate

However, there is one stubborn library (2 years worth of family pictures), and I'm getting the error message

Unable to write to library “xxx” Check that you have permission to write to the library directory.

Kathykate, have you set the "Ignore ownership on this volume" flag for the drive with this library?

You can do this from the File > Get Info" panel for the drive. It looks like you had still this flag enabled.

User uploaded file

Jul 4, 2014 4:01 AM in response to Kathykate

No it's not ticked! So should I just go ahead and tick it? Then try to open library again?

This option will allow you to access files on a drive, if they have been written to the drive using a different account. That is, why it usually helps, if you are having permission issues. I set this flag routinely, if I am using an external drive with iPhoto libraries on different Macs. Try it.

I would not set this option routinely for each and every drive, but for photo libraries it is a big help. And it will not work for Time Machine drives.

Jul 4, 2014 5:18 AM in response to léonie

Ok I ticked it and finally the problem Library opens just fine. Then I turned my attention to the new backup, ticked the 'ignore ownership on this volume' first, then tried opening all the copied libraries on there, and they all opened just fine first time.

I just hope that the next time I do a copy to the back up disk I don't run into the same problem, I don't have the heart to tackle that right now, will leave it to another day!

Thanks for help in getting my family pictures back. 🙂

Sep 29, 2014 5:01 AM in response to léonie

I am having the same issue but when I open the Get Info window for my drive, I am not seeing that option.

User uploaded file

So I tried to do the same thing for my library and again not seeing that option.

User uploaded file

Can you please let me know how I can get this option because I am not able to open that library anymore on my drive. I also have other library on the same drive that I am having no issue at all.

Thanks

Sep 29, 2014 5:15 AM in response to derep97

Your Seagate Drive is formatted for Windows, it has the wrong file system. What backup software are you using with that drive? It may be preventing the Ignore Ownership flag from being set.

You must not keep iPhoto libraries on a drive with any other file system than MacOS Extended (Journaled). With any other file system you are risking library corruption and data loss. Get a dedicated drive for the iPhoto Libraries or partition the drive.

iPhoto: Issues with FAT32-formatted drives

Sep 29, 2014 5:20 AM in response to léonie

I am not using any backup software for that drive. I started using that drive because my MacBook Air was full. I am pretty sure that I had formatted it for Mac when I started to use it. I've been using that drive for the last 4 months with no issue but now I am having issue with one of my Iphoto Library. I don't have a copy of that library backup anywhere. Is there anyway to fix that issue.

Sep 29, 2014 5:40 AM in response to derep97

That drive is formatted with the Windows NT File System or NTFS. It says that in your first screen shot above.

iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, exporting, saving edits and sharing the photos.

See this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

for more. Note also the comment:

“Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.”

If you want to have the iPhoto Library on the drive you will need to reformat it with Disk Utility. This will erase the drive, so back up any data on it you want to keep.

Sep 29, 2014 5:45 AM in response to derep97

I am pretty sure that I had formatted it for Mac when I started to use it.

The screenshot you posted shows "Format: Windows NT Filesystem".

I've been using that drive for the last 4 months with no issue but now I am having issue with one of my Iphoto Library.

It can work for a while, but is a disaster waiting to happen. Mov the libraries to a different drive and reformat the drive with Disk Utility. This document describes how to format the drive: Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

now I am having issue with one of my Iphoto Library.

What is exactly the issue? You may want to post your own question for this issue in a new thread.

Sep 29, 2014 10:05 AM in response to léonie

Thanks Léonie,

My problem is that I am not able to open my Library. I keep getting the same message

iPhoto Unable to write to library Check that you have permission to write to the library directory

I have another library on the same External Disk and I can open it with no problem.

I copied the library I cant open on another External Disk that I have and that is formatted for Mac. I tried to open my Library from that disk and I get the same message.

I then checked the Get Info Screen for that External HD and the "Ignore ownership on this volume" is checked. I guess there is something wrong with my Iphoto Library.

Is there a way I can extract the orignal files from that library? I read in another post that by clicking on "show package content" I should see an "Original" folder where I could find the files for all pictures. I don't see that "original" folders.

If you know another way of extracting the files, please let me know.

Thanks

Sep 29, 2014 10:13 AM in response to derep97

Now that your library is on a correctly formatted drive with the "Ignore Ownership" option enabled, try to repair the permissions with iPhoto's library first aid tools.

• select the library on the drive.
  • Hold down the key combination⌥⌘ (alt/option-command) .
  • Double click the library to launch iPhoto
  • Keep holding down both the keys, until the "Library First Aid" panel opens.
  • Select "Repair permissions" from the panel.

Yes, you can extract the originals from the library in the Finder, but first try to repair the library. Otherwise all your edits and metadata will be lost.

iPhoto Unable to write to library Check that you have permission to write to the library directory.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.