Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Completely remove Itunes

I have OS X 10.9.3 with iTunes 11.2.2 - Very simple question: How do I remove the iTunes application?

Please help, it is driving me insane!

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 2:56 AM

10 replies

Jul 13, 2014 2:53 AM in response to Dantium

What is the problem exactly? iTunes launches "at random"? Or does it launch when you connect your BT headphones?

It's usual for iTunes to launch when you connect an iPhone or iPad, but it shouldn't launch for other reasons.

Do the BT headphones show up in iTunes as a "device"? If so, perhaps there's a setting there.

Have you restarted since removing the Login Item?

There's almost certainly a way to fix this without resorting to deleting the app.

Jul 14, 2014 3:40 AM in response to Dantium

You could try opening the Console app in the Utilities folder, and look for any relevant messages being left in the system log at the time when iTunes launches.

There may be a clue to what's going on.

Do you really not use iTunes at all? If you leave iTunes running, it uses pretty much no CPU or battery, and very little memory. That might at least stop it switching focus from whatever you're doing.

Jul 14, 2014 4:48 AM in response to benwiggy

Ok this is very strange I can reproduce the issue - it will launch itunes each time i take off the headphones if there is music playing! I am not sure why it is happening - it would be great if I could permanently remove the itunes helper from startup somehow.

I checked the event in the console and it only reports this:

AVRCPAgent[382]: New AVRCP data: <f0110e00 487c4600>

Jul 14, 2014 5:05 AM in response to Dantium

What application are you using for playing music?

AVRCPAgent relates to Audio/Visual remote control. Do your BT headphones have remote control play/stop controls? If so, it's possible that they are triggering an AV command that iTunes is intercepting.

If you really want to, you can just drag iTunes to the trash. You'll be asked for authorisation. But obviously, you won't be able to administer any iPhones or iPads.

Completely remove Itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.