Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac is Overheating

Hi,

I own a MacBook Pro 13 Inch, Mid 2010 addition.

My mac is great but it gets very hot. I have smc fan control and it says 80℃ when its on 2000 rpm and not running any applications.

This seems too hot. Also I know the app isn't showing a false reading as when i feel my computer its quite warm. Also the battery is draining fast it drained 30% in about 20 minutes. Please help me cool down my mac!

<Personal Information Edited By Host>

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 7:32 AM

6 replies

Jul 4, 2014 8:22 AM in response to tayloruae

1. Check the cycle count of the battery against the limit for your model. The battery may be due for replacement. If the power adapter is connected almost all the time, the battery may need replacing even though the cycle count is not too high.

2. Follow these instructions, or these for OS X 10.9 or later.

3. In the Energy Saver preference pane, uncheck the box marked

Enable Power Nap while on battery power

4. You can also try resetting the SMC.

5. Make sure your system is up to date in Software Update.

6. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service center.

Jul 7, 2014 1:05 PM in response to tayloruae

I had the same issue and I've resolved it.

My machine would frequently restart from the heat, sometimes just watching videos!

Typical heat would be 75-100C with frequent restarts, fans on 6000rpm constantly.

Firstly I bought a can of compressed air , opened up the mac and cleaned it with the air.

I have a 2009 model and there was a CRAZY amount of dust, all up in the fan and on the heatsink "Fin" that the fan blows the air through.

These two components must be cleared so the Air can get ejected.

I also keep my mac on a tilted stand to allow the air to flow up and back.

-----Doing this massively improved my heat but I still felt It was high

I installed SMC fan control and had it pretty much max speed at all times which helped a lot too but Id still be sitting on like 70-75C which was too hot for me

bearing in mind this was Idle.

Finally I decided to go at the CPU, I've read on different forums that the thermal paste gets old and stops working good.

I bought some cheap thermal paste, some rubbing alcohol.

Opened up the machine and removed the logic board, removed the heatsink.

Cleaned the heatsink, the GPU and the GPU with the alcohol.

Blew the crap out of everything with some compressed Air.

Applied the thermal paste to the CPU and GPU (using the spread method) and screwed the heatsink backdown.

Put it all back together again!

Right now my fans are running about the minimum 1999rpm and its resting at around 50C temp wise.

I just tried the "yes stress test" which spikes your CPU to 100% usage and as a result increases heat,

It got hot....like 80C at 100% CPU usage....no restarts as of yet....held that heat stable without really having to increase the fan speed,

When i manually increase the fan speed the heat drops a little.

Just realised how much I've written so as a conclusion.

Replace your thermal paste if your mac is an older model, You still have plenty of life in it.

Mac is Overheating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.