Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Win 7 OS,64 Bit..Going back to ver 10.3 as I wish to use the cdbackup/restore version..I

Win 7 OS,64 Bit..Going back to ver 10.3 as I wish to use the cdbackup/restore version..I

wish to restore to my PC only..My aim is delete all music files from 11.1.5.5 (a bummer)

then uninstall it so I don't think I have to consider the itl and.xlm files..Am I thinking

okay?.Starting 10.3 from scratch...Any foreseeable problems here?..Nicolino

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 7:03 AM

61 replies

Jul 4, 2014 7:20 AM in response to nicolini

Why would you want to use iTunes poor CD backup feature? Restore is an all or nothing affair and if one disc has an error then you cannot recover any further content. Clone your entire library to a secondary hard drive with this backup tip. This gives you an instantly available library ready to use in an emergency and it is much easier to recover individual files if you delete something in error. If you must archive to CD/DVD there are better tools to use than iTunes, your machine may already have them installed. (Roxio, Nero etc. are bundled with many computers.)

If you do decide to revert to iTunes 10.3 you should be able to restore an older version of your iTunes Library.itl file from the Previous iTunes Libraries folder (see Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash) and then bring that up to date with any changes to your media folders with a tool called iTunes Folder Watch. I would not recommend this course however. If you have any iOS devices that sync with your library then you need to stick with the current version of iTunes.

tt2

Jul 6, 2014 12:12 PM in response to nicolini

nicolini wrote:

Will I find the"Previous ITunes Library Folder" in the 10.3 download...All cd/dvd backups are from my collection of cds....

No. Your iTunes library folder (normally inside User's Music) will contain your main iTunes Library.itl database file and, if you've updated iTunes at some point, a collection of archived .itl files made during some of those updates is placed in a subfolder called Previous iTunes Libraries.

Ah, perhaps I have misunderstood. Do you mean that you are trying to restore a set of iTunes backup CDs/DVDs made with an earlier version of iTunes or that you want to backup the library that you have now?

I may be wrong, but I thought the current version of iTunes retains the ability to unpack a backup set made with an older version of iTunes. Having never relied on the feature I don't have much experience with it. If you're trying to backup your library now a folder cloning tool such as described in this backup tip is a better way to go.

tt2

Jul 6, 2014 1:08 PM in response to turingtest2

Yes,you have it..I did backup in an earlier in nov 2009(Version?)...I understand that the 10.3 or earlier has the restore/cd/dvd backup..10.4 and higher doesn't include the feature.. I have five cd backups which I need to restore the music files..I have 11.1.5.5 and the restore/cd/dvd backup is grayed out under the file/devices selection cascade...I don't see the previous library folder in 11.1.5.5...Thanks,Nicolino

Jul 6, 2014 1:19 PM in response to nicolini

OK. Move your current iTunes folder to the desktop before you start so that you can restore into a clean folder. See the second box of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for a guide to tear out all of the remnants of iTunes 11 before you try to install an older version. Install iTunes 10.3 and use it to restore the data from the backup discs. You can then install the current version of iTunes. Depending on what content is in your "current" library you may want to move/rename the folders to restore the current version, then merge in the media from the other library.

tt2

Jul 14, 2014 10:45 AM in response to turingtest2

7/14/2014

I don't understand the bit about saving ITL from 10.4 update..As I mentioned early on that after version 10.3 Apple no longer includes the cd/dvd/restore feature.. I am completely rebuilding my ITL program so why do i even have to fool around with the ITL file anyway?..Are you saying I have to downgrade to 10.4 just to copy the current ITL folder..Then go back and downgrade again to 10.3..If this is getting nutsy and you don.t want to continue I will understand..Thank you.Nic

Jul 14, 2014 12:11 PM in response to nicolini

Your step 4 isn't necessary if you are happy to start over with a fresh library. If you want to make sure iTunes doesn't need to wipe and reload media on your devices, or you have any playlists that you'd rather not rebuild, then the .itl file that matches the date of the 10.4 release/install will be your 10.3 library and would work with 10.3. Any older library will also do. Any more recent one will refuse to open. An alternative approach might be to import the current .xml file that you are planning to move to the desktop into the empty library that should be created when you run 10.3 the first time. That should import all your media and your current set of playlists.

tt2

Jul 20, 2014 1:09 PM in response to turingtest2

I don't use devices..I don't believe they work in versions less than 10.4..However,my Nano 4 syncs very well to the old versions..If I save the xlm data file it will deliver current media to 10.3..There is nothing I need in that file as I am starting over with a fresh library or should I delete the current media from11.1.5.5 xlm and then save it to 10.3,Thanks,Nicolino.

Jul 20, 2014 1:42 PM in response to nicolini

An iPod nano is a device too, just not an iOS one. Don't worry. Delete or move the following files from your iTunes folder:

• Album Artwork
  • Previous iTunes Libraries
  • iTunes Library.itl
  • iTunes Libray Extras.itdb
  • iTunes Libray Genius.itdb
  • iTunes Music Library.xml

Uninstall iTunes and the related components, then install iTunes 10.3. Recover the data from your backup discs and import any other media that you have.

If there is media on the iPod nano that isn't anywhere else to be recovered see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

For the future I'd recommend you Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy rather than rely on CD/DVD backup.

tt2

Aug 13, 2014 12:08 PM in response to nicolini

As I recall you wanted a clean start. If you have no Album Artwork or Previous iTunes Libraries folders to remove then the contents of them is immaterial. When you rebuild the library iTunes will create the supporting files that it needs. I'm surprised those folders aren't there unless you've previously removed them.

When you install iTunes it will recall the location of the previous active library. This will normally be <User's Music>\iTunes but perhaps you changed it at some point? If you want to create your library on a different path press and hold down shift as you start iTunes and then click create and choose a new location. The root of an external drive, e.g. X:\iTunes, is a good location.

tt2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.