Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When will Apple add an to Send Message Option?

This is a problem that seems to have bugged many people for a long time. When using iMessage the <Enter> key adds a new line. This is great for emails, reports, Facebook, etc... but in iMessage it is a total pain as most messenger apps tend to simply send a message in single lines and not by paragraphs. Are there any ways to enable such an option? This is especially problematic for people who are typing on an external bluetooth keyboard (or a sliding qwerty case in the case of an iPhone). Even on my iPad the fact I can't simply hit <Enter> on the VIRTUAL keyboard while my thumb is right next to it and have to stretch it upwards in an uncomfortable fashion is a pain.

First world problems I know... but it would still be nice if Apple could at least add that option.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Does anybody know if Apple has ANY plans to implement such an obvious feature?

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 7:40 AM

12 replies

May 8, 2017 9:08 AM in response to GGonJR

I've had this same question for a while as well and I just figured it out! I knew that if I typed my message with paragraph breaks in another app like Word or Evernote and then copy and pasted it into messages, it would keep the paragraph breaks. But I just now saw on the Messages Help page, that option-return is the shortcut! 1st world prob: Hacked! 😀 Happy messaging and you're welcome!

User uploaded file

Jul 4, 2014 8:11 AM in response to deggie

I disagree. Messaging is meant to be a quick and easy method of communication. Any messaging app uses it as a send and not a line feed. Also, while iMessage itself isn't limited, a recipient side may be limited since iPhones use the same app for texting. IF you are writing so much in a text that you need to make paragraphs it is time to send an email. Either way though, this doesn't sound like an option that would break the bank implementing and I'm sure a ton of people want it. Especially external keyboard users.

Jul 4, 2014 8:30 AM in response to deggie

Apple treats iMessage as an instant message app. I have never run into an instant messenger that doesn't use return as a send. This was more so common amongst text messaging in the 90s. Either way, I am sure that many people are divided, but, requesting the implementation of the ability to either line feed or send doesn't seem like it is without merit. Anybody I have ever texted or sent an instant message to have usually replied in a rapid succession of lines as though it was a conversation and not a send and reply to lengthy correspondence.

I'm no no developer but it seems like all this would take is a tickmark in the messenger settings that maps the return key in iMessenger depending on what the user wants. Some people like a line feed for whatever reason and some want to just send a message as quickly and efficiently as possible. I would guess sending shorter quicker messages is far more common in iMessenger.

Mar 11, 2015 8:06 AM in response to deggie

Sorry deggie, I have to say you are mistaken about how Apple thinks about this. The proof: the iMessage app in OS X uses "return" to send. It's not even a selectable option; it's mandatory.

As we all know, Apple is gradually transforming OS X to be more iOS-like. Nevertheless, I guarantee you there is exactly zero chance that Apple will rewrite the OS X messaging program to require activation of a screen button to send. It just wouldn't make sense, from any user interface perspective.

I'm glad I found this thread because I'm going to hit the feedback link now too.

Jan 4, 2016 12:51 PM in response to GGonJR

My question is just the opposite. Until the last few months, when I press the "enter" key within iMessage, it returns for another line of text, which is what I prefer. Now when I hit enter, it automatically sends my texts and I HATE that. I'm searching for a way to change that setting back to what it used to be. I haven't made any changes so I can only assume it came with updates of IOS recently. If anyone knows how to stop that from happening, I'd forever be grateful.

Jan 7, 2016 3:16 PM in response to LinsterGreen

I have the same issue. Every time I touch the enter key even by accident to message I have written so far (usually not complete) sends. The only way I have found on my Zagg Bluetooth keyboard to get the enter button to give me my expected line space is to HOLD DOWN THE ALT KEY WHILE PRESSING ENTER. This began happening on both my iPhone and my iPad 2 or 3 months ago. I got it to stop on the iPhone by enabling predictive text in keyboard settings but have not found a way to fix it on my iPad. Must have been in an iOS update I assume. Hope this helps.

Nov 8, 2016 2:47 AM in response to GGonJR

It's a lot simpler than this thread implies- we're not using a phone, we're on real computers where the addition of a simple check box in Preferences would offer that wonderful thing Apple seem so averse to: Choice.

It wouldn't get in the way of any established messaging practices either- because whatever the defaults you'd still be able to CHOOSE!

When will Apple add an to Send Message Option?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.