Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto freezes when I try to look at any pictures

Just purchased a new macbook air and migrated all my data including pictures. When I try to open iPhoto, many images are missing (marked with exclamation point) though thumbnails can be seen.

I have rebuild the database, reinstalled iPhoto, rebooted, deleted the iphoto library and re-imported from back-ups but nothing works. Now the new version of iphoto (with no photos imported) and only images in it being from my current icloud photo stream, just freezes if I even attempt to look at a picture.

Please help...need to clear off old computer but afraid to do so until I have all my pics available on the new one. Thank you!

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 6:21 PM

4 replies

Jul 4, 2014 6:39 PM in response to atesler190

a critical detail is missing - how did you move the iPhoto library? THe correct way is Connect the two Macs together (network, firewire target mode, etc) or use an external hard drive formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity from the old Mac to the pictures folder of the new Mac - launch iPhoto on the new mac and it will open the library and convert it as needed and you will be ready move forward.

LN

Jul 4, 2014 6:47 PM in response to LarryHN

Yep, tried to move the iPhoto libray multiple ways listed above. Connected old/new computer and did via airdrop. Also from Time Machine. Grabbed iPhoto library and moved in tact to new pictures folder.

Same thing continues to happen. I then tried to use an older version from backups on timemachine to see if perhaps there was something in the newer iphoto library causing it. No luck.

And even with all this when I attempt to open and look at pics, iphoto totally freezes up. So I removed iPhoto completely and reinstalled and then moved library and still no luck. No I have missing pics and a frozen computer anytime I attempt to look at pics that are there.😕

Jul 5, 2014 9:57 AM in response to atesler190

Try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents the following folder:

User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: For Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

User uploaded file

Iphoto freezes when I try to look at any pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.