Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't startup after latest Mountain Lion security update

I Performed a Software update recommended security update this morning after backing up my Mac. It restarted and all was well, until I left this afternoon and then returned after my MacBook had gone to sleep. I attempted to wake it as usual, and the screen would not come back on. I forced it to shut down, and then restarted, but all I get is a white screen, then dark, no backlight, just nothing. I tried restarting in safe mode, resetting the PRAM, resetting the power manager, but all to no avail. I can get it to bong and light up with a forced restart, but nothing after that.

the MacBook was working perfectly before this update.

any thoughts as to what else I can do? I don't believe I have access to a startup disk To try.

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 8:35 PM

2 replies

Jul 12, 2014 9:50 AM in response to CarlAVII

Thank you I did find this earlier and tried all of the applicable steps.

After sitting un[plugged overnight, I was able to startup the Mac normally. I then ended up reinstalling Mountain Lion, then before reapplying the security update which broke my Mac in the first place, I upgraded to Mavericks. This seemed to solve the problem, though I did have some strange related issues crop up shortly after the upgraded, but have not seen them since.

After going to sleep when plugged into a power source, the MacBook did not seem to wake up by the usual methods, so I closed the lid and tired to wake it up that way, it was when I opened the display all the way, pushing it against the maximum point of opening that the screen flashed to life. When I lowered it a bit, the screen went off again. This worked a couple of times, and then finally stayed on. I thought perhaps it was a hardware problem, but it has not been repeatable, nor has it happened again in the weeks since. So it still seems like a software related issue, or perhaps a combination of the two which behaves differently under Mavericks than the last Mountain Lion update.

I suppose all I can do at this point is to wait and see if the problem repeats in the future (most likely when I least afford it).

MacBook Pro won't startup after latest Mountain Lion security update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.