Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My original is no longer stacked with an adjusted version after I make the adjustments. I must have changed a setting unwittingly but don't know what to do.

My original is no longer stacked with an adjusted version after I make the adjustments. I must have changed a setting unwittingly but don't know what to do.

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 6:52 PM

10 replies

Jul 5, 2014 12:32 PM in response to branthunter

Nope, that's not it---I already had that ticked.

Perhaps you disabled "Advanced > Create new versions when making adjustments"?

And when I highlight the adjusted image and then I click "File" then "consolidate original" it says "This selection doesn't have any referenced files".

That is something completely different from your first question. I thought, the problem was that you no longer can create stacks of original images and adjusted versions. Now you are asking about a problem with referenced original files? Do you get error messages, that the original files cannot be found? Do you see broken arrow badges on the thumbnails?

The error message is telling you, that the command "consolidate original" does not apply, because your image is a managed image and therefore does not have a referenced file, and there is no need to consolidate the original. It is managed inside the Aperture library.

Jul 5, 2014 11:22 PM in response to branthunter

3)no. The original is absent and if I do more adjustments to the already adjusted image I get just the re-adjusted image.

That is the confusing part.

If the originals were missing from the Aperture library, Aperture would not allow you to adjust an image further. You would get an error message, that the original image is not available. It looks like we are talking at cross purposes because of a terminology problem. In Aperture "original" means the originally imported image file stored in the Aperture library, not the original image version you are seeing in the browser. I think, when you are saying "original" you are not referring to the originally imported image file ("master image" in previous Aperture versions) but to the first, unadjusted version you are seeing in the browser. From what I am seeing in your previous answers, the problem seems to be, that Aperture is always applying new adjustments to the currently selected version of the image and not creating new versions, in spite of being set to "create new version when making adjustments". This has nothing to do with Aperture's management of the original image files and the commands "consolidate/locate/relocate original" do not apply in this case. Have a look at Kirby Krieger's User Tip: The Well-Trod Path: a Beginner's Guide to how Aperture's major parts inter-relate

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding how this feature is supposed to work.

• What you are seeing in Aperture's browser are image versions, and originally, they will look all the same like the originally imported image files.
  • With your preference settings, Aperture should create a new version of an image, if you edit it the very first time and create a stack of the original version and the edited version. Does that happen, if you edit a new image, that never has been edited? As long as you start from the the first, original version, Aperture should create new versions.
  • However, Aperture will not create a new version and stack it, if you add further adjustments to an already edited version, unless you use the command "Photos > Duplicate version". This will just pile on to the existing adjustments. If you do want to add original versions to your version stacks, use the command "Photos > New version from original".

So, please check, if Aperture is working as expected and adding new versions, if you start from an original image version. Create one with "Photos > New version from original" to be sure. You can tell, if you have an original version from the badge in the lower right corner, if you have enabled badge overlays.

The left image has adjustments, the right not:

User uploaded file

You can always toggle between the original version of an image and the edited version by hitting the "M" key.

Jul 6, 2014 12:13 PM in response to léonie

With your preference settings, Aperture should create a new version of an image, if you edit it the very first time and create a stack of the original version and the edited version. Does that happen, if you edit a new image, that never has been edited?

No, that doesn't happen. It used to but now all I have in the browser after doing the adjustment is the adjusted version with the original nowhere to be seen ( whereas I used to have both showing and if I again opened the original and did another adjustment to it I'd get a 2nd version, giving me three images in the stack, the original and the two adjusted versions).

So, please check, if Aperture is working as expected and adding new versions, if you start from an original image version. Create one with "Photos > New version from original" to be sure.

If I do this (i.e.. "create one etc.) I get the new version and the original image version in a 2 image stack (ie.created new version plus the original ) . If I then again open the original and do an adjustment thereupon and go back to browser I still have a two image stack of the adjusted image made from the original and the "created" new version from original image.

I don't know if this is relevant but this all started after I installed Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC and made Lightroom my default download location for new images from my iMac chip reader.

Jul 6, 2014 12:30 PM in response to branthunter

If I do this (i.e.. "create one etc.) I get the new version and the original image version in a 2 image stack (ie.created new version plus the original ) . If I then again open the original and do an adjustment thereupon and go back to browser I still have a two image stack of the adjusted image made from the original and the "created" new version from original image.

That should not happen. Try to find out, if it only happens in your current Aperture library, or if you are having the same problem with a new library, created for testing. You can create a new library in Aperture by using the command "File > Switch to Library > Other/New".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.