Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

laCie Thunderbolt hard drive will not mount after installing 10.9.4

I installed 10.9.4 from software update, it took about 20 minutes to install and reboot. After everything was up and running I saw that my 4 TB LaCie hard drive was not mounted and neither was one of the two LaCie eSATA drives connected through the Thunderbolt adapter that was connected to the Thunderbolt hard drive. I rebooted, same thing. I connected the eSATA that didn't mount using FW800 and it mounted. I've unplugged and replugged power cables and connection cables and rebooted several times, but no joy.

Have not contacted LaCie as yet, because the Mac System info shows the LaCie 2big is connected. It also shows that one port of the Tbolt adapter is connected but not the other, that could be the cable but probably not, the drive itself is fine.

So, bottom line the Mac mini 2011 sees the 4 TB drive but won't mount it , and something is preventing the Tbolt adapter from seeing one of its ports.

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 12:00 AM

8 replies

Jul 5, 2014 9:24 AM in response to RLLL

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem. You must hold down the shift key twice: once when you turn on the computer, and again when you log in.

Note: If FileVault is enabled, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a Fusion Drive or a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jul 5, 2014 2:59 PM in response to Linc Davis

I have not run your diagnostic yet. What I have done is boot from two different backups, both running 10.9.3.

These two boots also do not mount the 4TB LaCie 2big Thunderbolt drive, but they do mount both the eSATA drives connected through the Tbolt to eSATA adapter that is daisy chained to the 2big. Both these boots showed that one 2TB drive of the 4TB 2big was in the list in Disk Utility, and System Info showed that the drive itself and the adapter were connected. I rebooted from my system disk with 10.9.4 and Disk Utility showed one of the two 2TB disks of the 2big, but the whole drive did not mount. Both of the eSATA drives mounted through the Tbolt adapter daisy chained to the 2big, so I am assuming that I disturbed the connection somehow during troubleshooting the original problem of not mounting the 2big and cured it by reconnecting at some point. The 2big is a RAID 0 4TB, it now does not mount as a drive, but is physically connected as shown by Sys Info and Disk Utility. i don't believe that this is a coincidental single drive failure in the 2big. I believe that this is a software RAID problem in Thunderbolt drives caused by 10.9.4.

Jul 9, 2014 10:20 PM in response to Tomhenning2

The 2big only has Thunderbolt, so I can't use another connectivity, but I think your problem, along with others I see online, indicates 10.9.4 has a bug with Thunderbolt connections. I haven't been able to get tech help from LaCie yet because the drive's serial number is hidden inside and you have to slide one of the two internal drives out to see it. I also have to research where and when I bought it two years ago. Since it was a refurb. I'm sure it's out of warranty. If I have to pay more than 100 to fix it, it's a doorstop.

Oct 20, 2014 3:42 PM in response to Tomhenning2

I am having the same problems with the Lacie and both my 30 inch thunderbolt displays flicker on and off sometimes also.

This has been a disaster and I am using the Yosemite and so I warn you not to do it as it only makes the issue worse.

My $1000.00 Lacie does not even have a USB only that Worthless thunderbolt , very sad about the whole issue.

Lacie has not responded as they are waiting for apple to do something and apple is waiting for the thunderbolt technology to fall.

How do they not make sure that thunderbolt technology is working I dont get it. ????

Nov 12, 2014 5:23 PM in response to RLLL

I just purchased an iMac Retina 27" and the LaCie 4TB Thunderbolt external drive for backups. The drive has worked without issue under Yosemite till this afternoon. It would not mount. The USB connection worked and mounted the drive instantly.

I packed the drive up, went to the store and it tested fine on a Mavericks iMac. I came home, plugged in all in again and the 4TB worked. Go figure.

The only change was that this morning I added my old USB LaCie 2TB drive to TimeMachine to use as an off-site back up. I doubt that would be the cause of the issue. The 2TB was switched off when the 4TB issue came up.

The rep in the store suggested it is a software issue (I agree) and so we wait for an update from either Apple or LaCie.

laCie Thunderbolt hard drive will not mount after installing 10.9.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.