Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the paragraph spacing before and after paragraphs in Pages for iOS

Being experienced in writing technical documents, I would like to know if there is any way I can setup paragraph styles with a specific spacing before and/or after paragraphs in Pages for iOS. You can do this in the normal Pages for Mac OS. Setting line spacing in Pages for iOS is not a very accurate way of formatting a document so that it looks good on a page.

Posted on Jul 5, 2014 5:44 AM

8 replies

Jul 8, 2014 4:58 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Hello James

I have realised this, but this is a long winded way of doing things and inconvenient if you want to create a new document using an iPad. To me paragraph spacing is one of the essentials when creating documents. It makes a document more readable and look more professional. For Apple to miss this out of iOS Pages is a huge error. Pages should be similar across all platforms where you can use Pages which will greatly overall compatibility, especially if you are exporting to other formats.

Regards

Schof

Jul 8, 2014 10:24 AM in response to Schof

Paragraph spacing id a function of the template and defined styles in pretty much any desktop publishing tool. Even in something like MS Word is really isn't designed to be modified on the fly (although you do have that capability). Pages in iOS is admittedly (and obviously) a rather stripped down version of Pages for OS X. Modifying template elements isn't part of it functionality. As I already suggested, those types of changes will need to be made in the template in Pages for OS X. Those changes should persist when the file is reimported to the iPad.

May 27, 2016 4:49 AM in response to Schof

I had the same problem. The best is to get Microsoft Office for the iPad. It is a million times better with more functionality than pages. I can even use my pencil on my iPad Pro to mark and draw with this Microsoft product and I can't use it with the nativa apple application : pages. Microsoft Word is extremedy flexible and infinitely more user friendly. (And it looks better too). If you do a lot of text editing, I would highly recommend MS Office. Hope this is helpful

Jun 4, 2016 11:40 AM in response to renierfrombray

I found this discussion while searching for a way to space paragraphs in Microsoft Word for the iPad. I couldn't find anything online other than discussions that said it can't be done. So, I tried searching for a way to do it in Pages. I am an iWork fan and have been using Pages for many years, but also have to use Word for business document exchange. I really like the new Word, but in this situation, I don't believe it can handle the spacing issue any better than Pages. If there is a way to do this in either of these apps that I haven't found, I sure would like to hear about it. I think this may be an iOS limitation, not a shortcoming of either app.

Nov 2, 2016 6:54 PM in response to renierfrombray

Thanks for stopping by Mr. Gates. However, you should really learn your own product before commenting. There is no way to adjust paragraph spacing in Word for iPad. You can adjust line spacing, but you can do that in Pages as well, with more control FWIW.

And it looks better? Makes sense from the guy who designed Windows.

How do I change the paragraph spacing before and after paragraphs in Pages for iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.